PDA

View Full Version : what type wood ornaments

Charity Newland
10-02-2010, 5:24 PM
hi,
I just got ULS 25w last month and was wanting to do some wooden ornaments and picture frame mats, unfinished and finished to sell at a craft fair. What do you guys recommend to get and where?
Thanks,
Charity

Joe Pelonio
10-02-2010, 6:04 PM
I would suggest basswood. It's light yet strong enough to hold up, and if you don't have a good wood supplier nearby it's pretty reasonable at places like Michael's & Ben Franklin. I use clear poly pre-laser but it's fine unfinished too.

Andrea Weissenseel
10-03-2010, 6:54 AM
For the ornaments you could use also could use plywood. Since you don't state where you're located at - I could give you a good source in Germany. Shouldn't the first thread rather be a short introduction ? ;)

Andrea

Charity Newland
10-03-2010, 9:10 AM
Thanks Paul.
Andrea you are correct. :o
I'm in Columbia, South Carolina. I got the laser to mostly to add on to my screen printing & promotions business for trophies and such. Finding I really enjoy the laser and creating with it.

Thanks much,
Charity

Andrea Weissenseel
10-04-2010, 2:49 AM
Welcome to the creek, Charity :)

You might also consider using acrylic for ornaments, looks very neat.

Andrea

Martin Boekers
10-06-2010, 10:00 AM
You may want to do a search of this forum as many have contributed
ornament designs through the years.

Marty

Mike Null
10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
George Perzel has some very nice thin wood that is perfect for ornaments.

He's listed under Laserarts in the Friends of the Creek tab. (the red button at the top of the page)

Todd Suire
10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Welcome Charity,

Check out Steve Good's Scrollsaw Workshop.... scrollsawworkshopDOTblogspotDOTcom

He has a super collection of scrollsaw designs that can be easily modified to run on the LASER.

Tim Bateson
10-06-2010, 4:32 PM
I use Birch Ply (laser quality) and Alder

Charity Newland
10-07-2010, 6:12 AM
Thanks everyone for all your help!:D