PDA

View Full Version : what is better than...Free Walnut?

Karl Card
10-02-2010, 4:20 PM
getting walnut at a gas station? Getting free walnut at a gas station.

LOL... I dont feel comfortable saying who did it but a fellow creeker happened to come through here and dropped off a couple walnut log pieces off via a third party. Id rather not put his name on here because I am not sure if he wants it that way or not. But anyway I told the third party that I have messing with wood for about a year now and have never met a more desirable crowd anywhere.

Thanks, and I am sure you know you are..lol

John Keeton
10-02-2010, 4:52 PM
Carl, they just don't come any better than Creekers!! Great walnut, but an even greater gesture on the part of the 'other creeker!':)

David DeCristoforo
10-02-2010, 4:55 PM
..."what is better than......getting walnut at a gas station?"

Getting gas from a walnut tree? Anyway, that's a very generous "third party".

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2010, 5:18 PM
Karl doesn't get any better than that.

Bill Bolen
10-02-2010, 5:26 PM
Congrats on having a great friend Carl...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2010, 7:10 PM
Karl - congrats on the Walnut! Looks like you should some great turnings out of it!

Paul Douglass
10-02-2010, 7:12 PM
Darn, wish that guy would run out of gas at a station near my parts!

Karl Card
10-02-2010, 7:17 PM
Folks it has been a great week for me and wood. Next spring I am going to have to get me either a mayo or mustard lathe. My biggest right now is only a 12 swing and from the looks of these walnut pieces and the big pieces I got earlier this week I need a larger one.. But kind of hard to get more lathe when your a non working student. I guess I need to sell some turning eh!!!!!!!!

Jon McElwain
10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Next spring I am going to have to get me either a mayo or mustard lathe...... But kind of hard to get more lathe when your a non working student.

Karl, I got my mayo as a non-working student! True story. You should too - just saying....

Karl Card
10-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Karl, I got my mayo as a non-working student! True story. You should too - just saying....

Well Jon, I am a firm believer in that thought that if you want something bad enough you will find away to get it. My biggest difficulty would be the wife seeing it. I have used the phrase "i got it for you" way to many times...lol

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2010, 1:17 PM
Let's see if I got this right.....

You pulled into a gas station....you said "Filler'er up" and they loaded you up with walnut....and it was free.......?

I'm gonna be awfully disappointed if it doesn't work here!

Congrats!

Christopher K. Hartley
10-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Karl, I know you said the Walnut was free, but let's look at what really happened. Creekers truly are top of the line generous and gracious individuals. They are also something else...They are crazies with a passion for pulling you deeper into the abyss. Their lives are not fulfilled without seeing another bite the dust or sink deeper into our outer darkness. Now, with that understanding, think very carefully about this sinister plot. You arrive at a gas station to find a fill-up of beautiful walnut. You're so grateful and excited with these large blanks. "But", you think, I really can't do these blanks justice and honor the giver by cutting them up to fit my lathe." You must look ahead and satisfy this new burning desire to spin on a Bigger Machine. So. now the trap is sprung and you will not rest until you find the darker road into our secret place. Your Hooked, Admit it! Free is, in reality, very expensive. Oh, but the fun!!! Who can resist?:D:D:D

steven carter
10-04-2010, 9:28 AM
Karl,

I'm glad you got the wood ok! I haven't talked to my brother since the wedding, but I'm glad he was able to get the wood to you so quickly. I just gave it to him last Sunday after the wedding in Gatlinburg. Like I said, you need wood, and I have wood, and what could be more simple? I look forward to seeing what you make with it.

Steve

Karl Card
10-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Yippee skippee,,,,

thanks Steve.