PDA

View Full Version : Spraying oil based paint question

Bernie Kopfer
10-02-2010, 10:09 AM
I am currently finishing a some bedroom furniture and my wife wants it white. So I made the pieces out of popular and now have them primed and sanded smooth. After spraying the first coat it looks nice. BUT what I don't know is do I sand between coats and/or over the final one to create a smooth to touch finish? The spray has covered evenly but with the usual slight stippling and that I would like to remove and go real smooth.
NOt sure about sanding, when? what grit etc.? Would appreciate advice.Thanks :confused:

Howard Acheson
10-02-2010, 1:24 PM
Oil based paint is just varnish with lots of opaque pigment. Therefore, whatever you would do to get a smooth finish with varnish, is appropriate for oil based paint. Let it the first coat dry for 24-48 hours and then lightly sand with 320 paper mounted on a padded, flat sanding block. Vacuum and then apply the next coat.

Bernie Kopfer
10-02-2010, 1:52 PM
Thanks, that sounds like good advice. Is the reason to wait so long so that the paint won't gum up the paper?

Howard Acheson
10-03-2010, 1:00 PM
Oil based finishes dry/cure in two steps. First the thinner evaporates and the surface becomes tack free. Then the oxygen in the air combines with the finish to fully harden and develope full adhesion. Full cure takes 3-4 weeks but the finish has cured enough after 48 hours that it can be sanded without damaging the finish under the top film. If when you sand sanding dust is produced, the finish is cured enough to continue sanding. If however, the sanding produces gummed finish on the sandpaper. let the finish dry 24 more hours and try again.