PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Thickness Question

Dennis Putnam
10-02-2010, 9:07 AM
I'm making some shelves and need some help determine the type of wood and thickness so it won't sag in a year or two. It won't be holding a lot of weight but I want to prepare for the worst case (I don't mean 40" CRT TV but perhaps a DVR and/or DVD player). The length will be a little over 4' between supports and will be painted so I'm not worried about grain quality. I was thinking about using whiteboard but I'm not sure 1" stock will be sufficient. I don't know that I can get 4/4 locally very easily. I don't think I want to use plywood because I don't like the look of any of the edge finishing options. In any case what is the rule of thumb for shelf thickness with respect to wood type? Thanks.

Charles Wiggins
10-02-2010, 9:11 AM
Use the Sagulator:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=28101

Dennis Putnam
10-02-2010, 9:26 AM
Cool! Thanks.

Frank Drew
10-02-2010, 9:49 AM
As you're using the term here, what's "whiteboard"?

You could reinforce a shelf by screwing a piece of angle iron onto the back edge.

In any case, in addition to added strength, I think thicker shelves (within reason) look better than thin ones; although 3/4" might work for a light duty shelving, it often looks just too dinky.

David Cefai
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
DVD players can get quite warm, which could contribute to warping, so I suggest overengineering the shelves.

Dennis Putnam
10-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks. I found some 5/4 white pine at a box store and according the Sagulator that will be ample, although it looks kind of bulky. However, if I put an Ogee edge on it I think it will be fine. Thoughts?