PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone worked with TEAK??

Ken Wright
04-07-2003, 12:35 PM
I need to build a medicine chest and some leg bandage boxes for my daughter to use at her horse shows. They'll be subject to hard use and some pretty good changes in temperatures and humidity.

Does teak fit the need??? Is it easy to work with?? Will it hold an oil finish or what should be used ... no glossy finishes!! Would appear to be the choice in view of its uses in the marine industry???

Jim Becker
04-07-2003, 1:58 PM
Teak, albeit expensive, is relatively easy to work. Due to it's high silica content, it will be harder on the knives and cutters. But it's a good choice for your project and with strong joinery methods and poly glue, it will probably outlast it's intended use. (Clean joint with acetone before using glue)

It does take an oil finish, in my experience--you might want to consider one of the Sikkens Cetol products for a natural look with UV protection, etc. (http://www.nam.sikkens.com/product.cfm?product_id=3&product_category=exterior) I think you will find this species to be very beautiful when you are done the project.

Bob Boake
04-07-2003, 2:00 PM
stands up to salt water. resists rot. has lots of natural oils. Can leave unfinished outside and will get a nice gray patina. must be cleaned with acetone or finish won't adhere.

NOT INEXPENSIVE.

Bob Powers
04-07-2003, 2:05 PM
Ken,

You might also wish to consider mahogany. I just finished a rather large project for my daughter with it and it is very nice to work with. I used one of the Cetol Marine products because my daughter wants a high gloss finish. My own preference would be no finish. I suspect, but am not certain, that mahogany is less expensive than teak.

Bruce Page
04-07-2003, 6:46 PM
Ken, in addition to the excellent advise above, I’ll point out that Teak is a pretty dense hardwood and therefore a little on the heavy side. That could be a consideration if you have to lug it around much.

John Wadsworth
04-08-2003, 10:42 AM
I haven't worked with teak myself, but should point out that many woodworkers find themselves allergic to its dust. Making a relatively small project, with good dust control. may not be a problem even then--but if you start itching, you'll have a likely suspect.

Terry Quiram
04-08-2003, 7:00 PM
Ken

You might consider Ipe. It is dang near indestructable. Not particularly attractive but will take a HUGE amount of abuse. I know of low boy trailers that haul track type consturction machinery that use Ipe as a bed surface.

Terry

Ken Wright
04-09-2003, 11:53 AM
After looking around at the prices, I think you are correct ... I may try mahogany instead ... and the weight of teak may also be prohibitive. When Kristie goes to a horse show with 10-15 students and horses and all the stuff that it takes, it quickly amounts to a lot of weight for the Ram 3500 and the 6 horse trailer.

Dave Arbuckle
04-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Have you considered White Oak? It is heavier than Mahogany, but not nearly as soft.

Second thought (assume for a moment that's a thought just up above). You seem to be picking woods based on their outdoor performance. Are these going to be left out in the rain, or just carried outside for use and stored in a protected location?

Dave

Jim Becker
04-09-2003, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle
Have you considered White Oak? It is heavier than Mahogany, but not nearly as soft.

White oak is actually a very good choice for this application for both the "outdoor" situation, whatever that may be, and from a cost standpoint. Good call, Dave!

Ken Wright
04-09-2003, 4:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions .... These pieces will be stored in a dry location and then used on the w'ends in an "open air" protected location .... subject to a lot of humidity and jostling around ... kinda like a suitcase on an airline ... .. in fact even thought of trying to figure a way to include a built in foldable hand truck that she could use to move them ..... but then that might be over my head .. the boxes will be challenge enough at this point.

My only concern with oak is that so far I've never been successful at getting the finish that I wanted.

Dave Arbuckle
04-09-2003, 4:11 PM
White Oak is real easy to finish, Ken. Tell me what you want and what materials you're comfortable with, I'll tell you how to get there (Dave writes, hoping the answer isn't "I want it to look like Padauk" ;)).

Dave