PDA

View Full Version : Fast or slow to finish up

Mike Willeson
10-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I have been working on improving my tool cuts and cleaning up tool marks at the end.

I have a jet 1014 and my lowest speed is 500 rpm so that is where I start. When doing a bowl for example I typically don't go any faster, even at the end.

I am wondering more speed or less speed is beneficial when cleaning up tool marks.

I appreciate comments on your speed selection for various phases of your projects.

Thanks,
Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
10-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Mike,

You will have to experiment and see what works for you and your tool control and .....what you are comfortable doing.

There are some basic rules for speed of turnings and here is a general reference: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/article/31?Args=

Once I have roughed something out and it is balanced I typically speed it up. One needs to use a little caution and common sense in the process, however.

Dennis Ford
10-02-2010, 7:28 AM
With that size lathe, the method I use is; "If the lathe is shaking, it is too fast".
Up to whatever limit you feel is safe, faster will usually produce a cleaner cut.

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Mike - I checked the specs for your lathe and the next speed option is 1200 rpm. I would think that speed would work well for you and not be unreasonable as long as the piece is balanced.

I normally rough out anywhere from 250 to 600 rpm, depending on size and balance of the blank but finish around 1000 to 1200. Also, for cleaning up tool marks - sheer scraping works wonders with very little effort.

David E Keller
10-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I find that faster is better for me generally, but safety first and speed second.

Reed Gray
10-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Your comfort level is more important than your speed. I prefer higher speeds as well. Finish cuts are very light, just brushing the surface, and when doing shear cuts with a scraper, you can take a couple of passes to smooth out bumps and remove tool marks. It just seems easier to up the speed. This is one time when the variable speed makes a big difference compared to changing the pulley.

robo hippy

Karl Card
10-02-2010, 4:10 PM
Believe me, you will know when it is wrong. You wont forget either... Dont ask me how I know... All I can say is that I have so very fortunate not to have ended up in the hospital over the past year. But I will also say that my wood know stays on the lathe more so than flying..
From my experience you have to find that "sweet" spot. It is a place where it isnt to slow and isnt to fast but as others have said sharp tools and a faster speed, in moderation, I feel produces a cleaner cut where as a to low of a speed some times can seem to rip the wood... which goes back to tools and how sharp and what kind of grind... Hope this makes sense...Ö¿Ö

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2010, 5:21 PM
I think if it is roughed and basically balanced I would go to 1200. I generally do my finish cuts around 1200 to 1400 rpm.