PDA

View Full Version : Redwood --- how does it turn

John Beaver
10-01-2010, 10:57 PM
I have a chance at a few large redwood logs. Do I want them? How does it turn?

Bill Boehme
10-01-2010, 11:18 PM
The redwood lumber that I have used makes me think that it is too soft and too much difference in hardness between early and late wood. I also suspect that tearout and splintering might be an issue. However, with sufficient skill and patience, almost any kind of wood can be turned to create a beautiful surface.

Aaron Wingert
10-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I've turned some turkey calls from it and it was enjoyable to turn. The stuff I used was dried, so I can't say how it does when roughed or turned green.

Don Alexander
10-02-2010, 12:08 AM
free wood always looks good hehe

and redwood isn't any different than any other wood in that it has its own set of challenges , just turn some and enjoy :)

Greg Ketell
10-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Dry it turns really easy but really powdery. Hard to get nice ribbons. But it is soft so it turns really really easily.

If it is truly dry it is a bit of a challenge to finish because it just soaks up the finish like a rag. LOTS and LOTS of coats.

Al Wasser
10-02-2010, 9:48 AM
I've turned the plain stuff and the burly stuff. Unless your log has evidence of unusual grain I would pass. If straight grained it will only yield you practice pieces with no outstanding visual properties, and those pieces are easily damaged by the slightest ding. If it has burl or unusual grain take all you can get but as has been said before it will suck up finish like a drunk on Saturday night

David E Keller
10-02-2010, 10:47 AM
I've only turned the figured stuff, and it's definitely worth the effort. If Bill is right about the densities of the early/late wood, it might be a good candidate for sandblasting or wire brushing to create surface texture. I'd take it... All wood burns if it's not worth turning.

Wally Dickerman
10-02-2010, 11:49 AM
I have a chance at a few large redwood logs. Do I want them? How does it turn?

You do realize that a large redwood log is at least 10 ft. in dia. A small redwood log is 4 or 5 ft in dia:).

I don't care to turn just plain redwood, but redwood burl can be beautiful, especially lace burl.

Wally

William Bachtel
10-02-2010, 12:40 PM
You could sell it to us turners who live out east. Take all you can get.

Reed Gray
10-02-2010, 12:45 PM
It is very soft, so if you look at it too hard, it will dent. Also, is one of the 'allergy' woods where you can build up sensitivity to with exposure. Burl is very pretty, and can come in huge pieces.

robo hippy

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2010, 5:25 PM
I have turned some redwood and don't care for it. Maybe the wood was to dry but it was really soft and the tear out was terrible. Pen blanks are fine but won't turn any bowls out of it.

Karl Card
10-02-2010, 7:23 PM
Dry it turns really easy but really powdery. Hard to get nice ribbons. But it is soft so it turns really really easily.

If it is truly dry it is a bit of a challenge to finish because it just soaks up the finish like a rag. LOTS and LOTS of coats.

that is about my take on it also. The last redwood pen I finished that was nice had about 3 coats of lacquer on it. It was so brilliant looking with the lacey burl grain. It was truly a 3d looking wood.

Ken Whitney
10-03-2010, 9:11 AM
Redwood sawdust can cause a blue-black stain if it gets wet. Not sure about sawdust/shavings from a fresh log.

David Woodruff
10-03-2010, 9:29 AM
Redwood burls harvested from the old growth stumps turn and finish beautifully. I finish with a vinyl sealer and many coats of clear guitar lacquer. The burlwood is harder, denser than straight grain. I would pass on the straight grain stuff. Of course, I generally pass on any straight grain wood.

Dave Beauchesne
10-03-2010, 10:03 AM
John:

I turned a trophy base out of a piece of burl that was loaded with 3/16'' diameter eyes and nice swirl.

The chunk of wood was from McGruders gift shop in California ( had a stamp on it ) and after I searched on the net, was a place that was flattened by a Tsunami in the 60's ( it was probably purchased in the 50's ) . The info on the net also told me the woman who owned the gift shop was born in Saskatchewan only 120 miles from where I was ' hatched ', and she had just passed last fall in her 90's. I bought the burl at a flea market in Kelowna British Columbia in the 90's, and turned it early this year.

Sorry for rambling, I thought it was a neat story. BTW, with sharp tools, the base was spectacular to turn and finish; I finished it with many coats of clear Brixwax. The deep brown / redish / black streaks combined with the eyes were hard to beat.

Dave Beauchense