PDA

View Full Version : Broke into the sowing cabinet

Ken Hill
10-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I turned this piece of spalted maple and it ended up having way more spalt on one side, leaving the other fairly plain. So i did a sowing string inlay to give it some life.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/BEA0875/1030141711_FVsyP-L.jpg

Another made from spectraply

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/BEA0871/1029941063_4VKTx-L.jpg

Bill Boehme
10-01-2010, 10:55 PM
It is nice looking and I am guessing that from the context of the photo that it must be a game call of some sort. I am not sure what a sowing string inlay is, but guess it must be some sort of string or twine to fill a turned groove. I like your photography. The turning is well lighted and the white balance looks to be spot on. The background setting does a great job of helping the image tell a story without being obtrusive to the main subject. I especially like image #2.

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Those are beauties Ken. I really like that first one.

Mark Hubl
10-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Those are nice, I like the thread inlay idea.

Patrick Doody
10-01-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm guessing that they're predator calls, judging by the .223

i like the sewing thread trick, reminds me of a bamboo flyrod.

great job on those, i may have to nic that idea about the thread.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Ken - once again - very nice work and photos!

Ken Hill
10-01-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks!

Yes, these are Open Reed distress calls to bring in Coyote/Fox etc

Hunting season is upon us so I hope to shift the photography to more "field use" type images.

The thread and CA glue...poor boy has to do what he has to do haha! I am going to try one with crushed leaves as an inlay as soon as the fall colors start hitting them.

Aaron Wingert
10-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Great looking calls as always Ken! (love the black rifle too :))

I like the sewing thread idea. I have been thinking of getting some fine brass or copper wire like the stuff they use for tying trout flies and doing an inlaid wrap on one of my calls. Inlays are a blast...I'm curious to see how the autumn leaves work out!

Ken Hill
10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
You're the inlay guy Aaron haha!

Ive seen so much done with epoxy and resins but I would like to see what I can come up with with just CA as a bonding agent.

Aaron Wingert
10-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Ken the CA will do fine for most inlays. Having done it both ways I will say that Inlace or epoxy is better because it'll end up more clear. With "busy" inlays like brass shavings CA works just fine (that's how I've done a few). If you're careful and use thin or medium CA I bet it works fine for covering up threads like you did or wires. Too much accelerator will turn it whitish and make bubbles, so you gotta go really light with it.