PDA

View Full Version : The Letter said, "congratulations you've been accepted

Tom Hamilton
10-01-2010, 9:30 PM
to the Douglas County Art Center Juried Show.

What! Are you kidding!

It's true. I submitted three pieces to the local art center's juried show. I really thought they would write back and say "this is an art show not a craft show." But, wonder of wonders, I got an acceptance letter today for one of the pieces:

It's a Leyland Cypress I cut on New Year's Eve last year. It dried inside in blank form for 6 months or so and when I turned it I found the voids. It's 11" across and 4.5" tall.

Now I've seen artists, here and on the AAW site, and I know I'm no artist. I couldn't carry John Keeton's tool bag and I haven't slept in a Holiday Inn recently.

But it is a kick to advance turning just a little bit in my community. I'll be at the opening, sipping white wine and answering questions.

Should be interesting.

Cheers, Tom, in D'Ville, wondering how to act like an artist.

Sean Hughto
10-01-2010, 9:34 PM
Congrats! Great looking bowl. Really great shape and details, not to mention the wood.

Pete Jordan
10-01-2010, 9:35 PM
Congrats Tom!

It is a beautiful piece and you should be very proud. Make sure you eat your share of snacks and wine!

Michael James
10-01-2010, 9:37 PM
Good job, nice to see you getting some recognition. I would suggest wear a beret and speak in newagenonsense about everything, intersperesed with a lot of "like...."'s thrown in. Claim a bad childhood, and a self destructive early adult decade, riddled with angst. You'll be a hit.:cool:
(or ask Keeton or the other guys that have actually done it)

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2010, 9:45 PM
Congrats Tom - really makes one feel good doesn't it?

Good looking bowl! Good possibility that you will have the only turning in the show - so be prepared to talk turning to those curious folks who want to know how you created your art!

Having been to a few of these receptions - best advise I can give is to get there early - the wine goes quickly!

Have fun!

Ken Fitzgerald
10-01-2010, 9:49 PM
Well congratulations Tom!

How does it feel to have a "Studio" instead of a "shop"?;)

George Guadiane
10-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Congratulations!
That bowl is certainly art!

Cathy Schaewe
10-01-2010, 10:07 PM
That is so cool!!! Way to go!:)

John Keeton
10-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Tom, a big CONGRATS!!! That is a beautiful piece! I love the rim treatment you used and the form is very nice - not to mention a great piece of wood.

Enjoy the glory!!

Mark Hubl
10-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Congratulations Tom! Good luck and have fun at the event.

Robert McGowen
10-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Time to brush off the ascot and get to acting snobby! Congrats, Tom!

Mike Willeson
10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Congratulations Tom!

Joe Little
10-02-2010, 6:14 AM
Congrats Tom, nice piece and a well earned recognition.

William Hutchinson
10-02-2010, 6:43 AM
... Now I've seen artists, here and on the AAW site, and I know I'm no artist. I couldn't carry John Keeton's tool bag and I haven't slept in a Holiday Inn recently.

Cheers, Tom, in D'Ville, wondering how to act like an artist.

Much success with the show. You have taken a rough piece of timber and transformed it into a wonderful art-piece. An artist is one who makes art-- not one who acts like an 'artist'. Sorry to shatter your self concept, but you are already an artist. Now you can move into a slum, become a quirky abstractionist bellowing to the moon of being a misunderstood genius. :D

Bob Wolfe
10-02-2010, 9:39 AM
Congratulations Tom, That is a fine piece of work. Just make a note that now your shop is a studio, bowls are vessels and vases are vaaaaases now that you're an artist. Oh, and you should pick out a catchey name for every piece that you create. I wish the the best of luck in the show.

Tom Hamilton
10-02-2010, 9:41 AM
Fellow Turning Artists: Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I'll do my best to "make art" and not act like and artist. No ascots Robert!

Ken, it's funny you ask about "studio" and "shop". I've got a few pieces in a local gift shop, they are on consignment, and the owner asked for an "artist statement" and business cards. So, I came up with a name, Chapel Hill Turning Studio. Chapel Hill is the name of a major road in Douglasville.

So, my new reality is having a studio and being called an artist. Who would have thunk it!

Best regards, Tom, the artist, heading to his studio. ;)

gary Zimmel
10-02-2010, 9:47 AM
Congrats Tom. Good luck with the event.

David E Keller
10-02-2010, 9:53 AM
Congratulations on you acceptance to the show. I hope the process is enjoyable.

John Keeton
10-02-2010, 9:59 AM
So, my new reality is having a studio and being called an artist. Who would have thunk it!

Best regards, Tom, the artist, heading to his studio. ;)I love it!!!

Karl Card
10-02-2010, 4:14 PM
Tom that is jus awesome.

As far as the "how to act like an artist" goes though, I have to ask, how did you act yesterday? You were an artist then also.

Good luck and the piece looks fantastic.

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2010, 5:20 PM
Congrats Tom and that is a fine looking bowl. I see why they picked it.

Neil Strong
10-02-2010, 8:10 PM
Nice work, Tom.

On artists, when I was at art school my fellow students included:

An ex-professional footballer
A farmer
A champion boxer
A closet gay, but obvious to all
A number of grandmas
A professional cook
An underground miner
Some stay at home mums
A number of ex-teachers from a wide range of subjects
A jewelery maker
A butch lesbian
A pipe smoker
A door to door salesperson
A golf fanatic
A rich cougars 'companion'
An accountant
A bunch of arty kids
A bunch of not very obvious people

The only thing they all had in common was they had won selective entry to the top art school in the country based on their art. Other than the arty kids, they were not a particularly arty looking or talking bunch. And, for that matter, can't say that there was much correlation between arty appearance and artistic success.

So, just be yourself and nobody will notice that you are not an artist... :cool:

Alan Huey
10-02-2010, 9:42 PM
Tom:
Really nice piece. Quit saying that you are not an artist, you artist you!
Have a lot of fun! When is the show?

Ken Glass
10-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Tom,
Congratulations on your selection. It is quite an honor and one that is well deserved. The vessel is very very nice and is has much character. I hope this is a great springboard into showing and selling your work from your studio. Well Done.

David DeCristoforo
10-03-2010, 11:54 AM
A studio is much better than a shop. You can get really "down to it" when you have a studio. You get to make things like bowls with holes in them and not have to explain why to anyone. Glad to hear about your selection.