PDA

View Full Version : Tools and equipment you've lusted over

Ted Wong
10-01-2010, 9:21 PM
What tools have kept you wanting over the years?

I'll start with the eye candy that has been my distraction for eons.

With some extra cash I scraped together this summer I finally got the Japanese chisels I had been bugging the wife for over the last 15 years. And at work I've been dreaming of a european style slot mortiser for just as long and this week my prayers were answered when I found a used machine at an affordable price.

Peter Quinn
10-01-2010, 9:27 PM
Me, lust after tools?????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Short list? Lie Nielson 4 1/2 smoother, and a C.R Onsrud inverted pin router. Oh, and a Garniga Entry door cutter stack for the shaper. And a Byrd head on a 16" Felder jointer/planer, and.............

Kevin Womer
10-01-2010, 9:41 PM
That's easy, the new Unisaw. Realistically, a smoothing plane, from Lee Valley.
Kevin

Neil Brooks
10-01-2010, 9:42 PM
Like ... anything that Northfield makes ?

Yeah. Lotto stuff. Mmmmm.

Bruce Wrenn
10-01-2010, 9:47 PM
I lusted for a Forrest WWII for several years, but the price stopped me. Finally bought one, then first time I used it, one of those staples that hold a SKU tag on caused it to lose five teeth, or parts there of. Sent it back to Forrest, and fix was almost same as what I gave for the blade. But I wasn't impressed with it's cutting to begin with, so it's still in the box. As a side note, for the last seven years, I have had a Craftsman 10" RAS resting on top of a Uni saw. Uni is complete, I just haven't bothered to replace existing contractor's saw. One day - maybe.

Jon Lanier
10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't 'lust' after tools. But there are some tools that are on the list I'd like to have; A new Bandsaw. Then maybe a drum sander.

george wilson
10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Didn't like the way the WWII cut???? What kind of saw blades have you been using?

Jeff Duncan
10-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Are you serious???

I'm going to need a much bigger computer to post a serious replay to this thread;)

Jeff

Neil Brooks
10-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Didn't like the way the WWII cut???? What kind of saw blades have you been using?

At the risk of further thread-jacking, I was kinda' wondering the same thing.

I run a Bosch 4100 contractor saw. Stock fence, plus the digital fence gauge thing. Bosch infeed and outfeed extensions, and ... that's it.

Kept getting a little frustrated with it ... and ... then ... bought the WWII. I LOVE that blade. It's the only reason that a "true cabinet saw" became MUCH more of a want than a need.

Still a want, though, so ... back to the original topic ... I dunno which, but it's gonna' be either a SawStop, a new Uni, or a PM2000/66.

But probably not all that soon ;)

Rich Engelhardt
10-02-2010, 7:30 AM
- Cat D9
- Browning M2
- Rotary Hammer
- illudium q-36 explosive space modulator

:)

(Oh yeah - the J.Alba look-alike shop elf someone mentioned in another thread.)

Ben Martin
10-02-2010, 8:22 AM
- Cat D9

Nice, I like where you head is at!

I could come up for some use for one of these.

http://www.spikerequipment.com/images-used-forklifts/IT-28-G.jpg

My shop is pretty much stuffed to the brim, if I had to lust over one this, it would be a bigger shop to put tools in! But if we keep it to tools, I would really like a vintage Powermatic 100 to go with my PM60.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-02-2010, 8:44 AM
illudium q-36 explosive space modulator

Excellent!!

Kent A Bathurst
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM

No Kidding, George :eek: !!!........my primary 12" chopmaster and primary 10" WWII are at Forrest for sharpening, and their twins are out of the cabinet, in the rotation, and running - doggone - makes me wanna rotate & sharpen more often.

My list:

Set of Shaptons [almost ready to pull this trigger]
LN 4-1/2 [may be achievable]
Oscillating Edge Sander [$$ and space - unlikely]
Second carcass/tenon rip @ 11-12 TPI [may be achievable]
wide belt or double-drum sander [$$ and space - very unlikely]

Bob Carreiro
10-02-2010, 3:05 PM
PART 1

Grex 2" Pinner
Dewalt 735 Planner
2+ hp DC
More Room in Shop (Does this count?)
8" Jointer
Saw Stop
Clamps, clamps, clamps
2nd Router Table paired w/another 3-1/4 hp Triton
Helper to keep tools sharpened
Roller Guides & Riser-Block Kit for BS
Endless Inventory of Right-Sized Screws & Nails
18" Drum Sander
Spray Booth
Larger compressor
Cheaper Prices for Wood
More Electrical Recepticles
AC in Shop (might as well include heat too, while you're at it!)
Edge Bander

to be continued....

Will Overton
10-02-2010, 3:19 PM
PART 1

Grex 2" Pinner
Dewalt 735 Planner
2+ hp DC
More Room in Shop (Does this count?)
8" Jointer
Saw Stop
Clamps, clamps, clamps
2nd Router Table paired w/another 3-1/4 hp Triton
Helper to keep tools sharpened
Roller Guides & Riser-Block Kit for BS
Endless Inventory of Right-Sized Screws & Nails
18" Drum Sander
Spray Booth
Larger compressor
Cheaper Prices for Wood
More Electrical Recepticles
AC in Shop (might as well include heat too, while you're at it!)
Edge Bander

to be continued....

You should get a job ... or a second one. ;)

Chip Lindley
10-02-2010, 6:50 PM
Well.....

A warehouse-sized shop building! (does that count?)
Unlimited resources to heat and cool it (that counts if the warehouse does!)
CNC router, software and all it's tooling
CabinetVision with upgrades for Life
Pneumatic frame table
Pneumatic case clamp
Woodmizer LT-40
Microwave Kiln
16" Jointer with Byrd head, free lifetime inserts
24" Planer with Byrd head, free lifetime inserts

....I better stop Lusting now....Forgive me Father!

greg a bender
10-02-2010, 7:54 PM
Well, since the SO has already approved the new UNI purchase and a 2hp shaper and a 17" band saw, my only remaining lusts are:
16" Lathe
12" joiner /planer to replace my Inca
More wood - always more wood
More time to spend in the shop
More time to spend with my SO and our cat. Work is such a drag, it really interferes with shop and life time.

Mike Heidrick
10-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Since last March I have been wanting a Vega oscillating edge sander. Next Friday I am driving 400 miles one way to make that dream come true. When you see one of these in person the little 80" or 89" import edge sanders just are not the same. They make the Vega sander about 40 miles from my house (Vega Woodworking is in Decatur IL). I am pretty excited and will be close enough to upgrade it to teh end table too. The IL to MI drive is worth it for this one as it is coming from an online friend/smc member who I get to meet in person. We are both major tool junkies!

I am also lusting after a chinese water cooled spindle for my CNC machine. I keep buying cheap hitachi routers though so I doubt I will own one soon. The routers just keep working for me. The spindles look seriously cool though.

I may also upgrade to a cast Alum gantry for my cnc as we have a Joes CNC memeber casting the parts and it adds some nice ridigidness to the machine from what I read. Check out www.castcnc.com (http://www.castcnc.com) if you are bored.

I have also been collecting parts for a 4th axis cnc lathe (requires 5th axis drive as I slave two on my Y axis).

Ultimately I dream of a new building. Got rid of two major vehicle payments this week so maybe in a few years the new building will happen!

Jacob Mac
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Mini Max CU300 Smart

All things Festool, for the dust collection mostly

Powermatic PM 1800, or a commensurate band saw

mreza Salav
10-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I lusted for a Forrest WWII for several years, but the price stopped me. Finally bought one, then first time I used it, one of those staples that hold a SKU tag on caused it to lose five teeth, or parts there of. Sent it back to Forrest, and fix was almost same as what I gave for the blade. But I wasn't impressed with it's cutting to begin with, so it's still in the box. As a side note, for the last seven years, I have had a Craftsman 10" RAS resting on top of a Uni saw. Uni is complete, I just haven't bothered to replace existing contractor's saw. One day - maybe.

You are not alone in not liking WWII.
I think it's a good blade but definitely over-hyped.
Sold mine after one year...

Leo Graywacz
10-02-2010, 11:14 PM
- Cat D9
- Browning M2
- Rotary Hammer
- illudium q-36 explosive space modulator

:)

(Oh yeah - the J.Alba look-alike shop elf someone mentioned in another thread.)

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/ATA/21501BP.jpg

CNC Router setup
Widebelt sander