PDA

View Full Version : Building a down draft table, long

Jim Dunn
12-19-2004, 11:55 PM
I'm still without my camera but promise pics in the near future. My question is about air flow through the top of the down draft table.

Having pretty much decided on using a piece of 1/4"X24"X48" "peg board" over a piece of 3/4" baltic birch plywood my concern is insuring enough air flow. Am considering opening up every other hole in the peg board to 3/4". That way I can use bench dogs and a screw type vice to lock the pieces down if necessary. Would have about 700 1/4" and 220 3/4" holes. Is this going to starve the furnace fan for air. I am protecting the fan with a 1 micron filter covered with a standard filter both measuring 20" square. As I smoke, also am using a carbon activated filter over both of those.

I am planning to monitor the amperes as the fan is currently drawing 6amps pn high and 3.5amps on low, not using the middle speed on the fan.

Would anyone like to chime in with there opinion? Any and all information would be appreciated. (Found one pic I can't post it on this thread, having already posted it on a previous thread. I'm much farther along at the present time.)

Don Selke
12-20-2004, 1:15 AM
Jim:
You may want to visit Terry Hatfields web site and click on shop accessories then down draft table. He has some good ideas along with pictures. His site is www.TerryHatfield.com (http://www.terryhatfield.com/)
Terry is a member of the Creek.

Tom Sontag
12-20-2004, 2:27 PM
I used pegboard and hope to repace it since it whistles. I have a 6" connection. So the larger holes would help that. But my intention is to replace with a hardwood grid something like a grill. Reason: pegboard drills poorly and you won't need the large holes for holddown clamps. Suction holds stuff in place. Well, unless you plan on using a belt sander. Just some thoughts...