PDA

View Full Version : My latest tool finds/gloat

Tony Shea
10-01-2010, 8:16 PM
I recently was over hanging out with my 87 year old gramps and he was telling his typical stories from the good old days, which I always can't get enough of. We got onto the subject of woodworking and come to find out he had quite the interest in tools in general. Most of his tool collection has dwindled down as two of his sons (my uncles) have stolen and sold them for drugs and booze. Gotta love your family.

Anyways, he brought me into is his room, which he now keeps locked, and showed me some of his leftover collection. It was absolutely wonderful to listen to stories he had of each tool he showed me. Before we left he grabbed a few of his tools and handed them to me for me to keep and use. I ended up being gifted a D-7 5 1/2 ppi saw (which I'm unsure of its' time period), a wooden spokeshave, and Stephens ivory folding rule. I really know very little about any of these tools other than the ivory folding rule seems to be sought after by collectors in decent condition. This particular one has a uncraked ivory but is very browned, not sure if it's worth anything really. But the saw is something I've been looking high and low for and fits my needs perfectly. I know it must not be something very early due to the handle style or lack there of but is great for my needs. The tooth pattern is exactly what I wanted and the saw plate is dead straight. Just a little tune up and I think I'll have a great user out of it. The spokeshave is probably the most interesting item to me. I've never seen one in this style and it really seems to be well made. It almost looks somewhat home-made but am not sure. The throat opening is a little too tight but other than that it seems perfect.

If anyone has any information about any of these tools I would love to hear about them. I'm far from a tool collector, just a user and most my collection fits my needs. Other than the rare find here and there, I'm just out to find some great users that may need a small amount of TLC.

Jonathan McCullough
10-01-2010, 8:35 PM
Could be wrong but at first blush the rule looks to me like boxwood. I've got one like that in my shop apron and use it all the time; I'd encourage you to use it.

The D-7 is one of the later production models and looks like it's in pretty good condition. Good steel in those saws and still taper ground. If you're new to old saws, cleaned up and sharpened, you'll wonder how you did without it.

Keith Young
10-01-2010, 8:52 PM
Try this for info on your saw: http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/ (http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/)
and the ruler might be worth its weight in gold, but any tools from grandpa, are priceless!!

Keith

george wilson
10-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Pretty certain the rule is boxwood. Only mammoth ivory gets that brown.

Bill Houghton
10-01-2010, 11:10 PM
...and Stephens ivory folding rule. I really know very little about any of these tools other than the ivory folding rule seems to be sought after by collectors in decent condition. This particular one has a uncraked ivory but is very browned, not sure if it's worth anything really...

Your grandfather honored you by giving you some of his tools? You bet it's worth something. It's worth remembering that he thought enough of you to give you those tools. You're a lucky guy. I had to wait for my senior relatives to pass on before I could thank them for the tools I received from them.

Dave Schwarzkopf
10-02-2010, 4:05 AM
Tony,

You're a lucky guy for sure, those are some awesome tools and I'll have to agree that there's something to be said for using tools with a history.

That spokeshave looks to be at a high enough angle to be classed as a scraper, almost looks similar to one of those Woodjoy offers. I'm curious how it performs.

http://www.woodjoytools.com/page5/page5.html

Dave

Dan Andrews
10-02-2010, 8:18 AM
Those are some great old tool. I am not waiting until I am dead to give my grandson some of my tools either. At 10 years old he shows a lot of interest in woodworking. When he comes for a visit, we go out in the shop and make something he wants that can be completede in a day or two. He can do most anything after being shown once. I will give him tools from my collection as his interest and skills progress. This is part of the joy of tool collecting and woodworking. Enjoy your tools and someday pass them on.

I inherited tools from my grandfather and my father and cherish them.

george wilson
10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
That "spoke shave" looking tool is a scraper. Perhaps a "chair maker's devil" I have a whole bunch of them. Most have concave soles of different radii. They are very lightly made.

I could be wrong,but your shave looks just like the ones I have,except mine are beech.

Harry Goodwin
10-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I treasure the rules from my own early days. If you decide to use it they are great side to side an inch, unfolded half an inch double thickness 3/8th one thickness 3/16 great feeler gages and set up for stuff. I have a
woodjoy square that has the same type of thicknesses on the square for the same purpose. A great tool. New boxwood rules are only availabe in 18" size and feeler idea is not the same. My grandfather used the hinge as a push stick which I never recommend but I have his brass clad one and there are no marks of excitement. Harry