PDA

View Full Version : 2nd, 3rd and 4th Turnings

Dan Cannon
10-01-2010, 6:53 PM
Well I had to take some time away from the lathe for work, just when I was getting into it. But over the last week I was able to sneak out and practice some more, so here are my turnings number 2, 3 and 4
First is from a scrap piece, not sure of the type of wood, my son got to choose what I made with it. Guess what his favorite sport is. This one has no finish.

The two bowls are walnut and osage orange. Size is around 6" diameter, give or take 1/2". The walnut was GREAT to turn, and even smelled good. The osage was fun, but more dusty or waxy or something. Finish on both is 2 coats of shellac, and two coats of wipe on poly (so far). I just noticed some drip marks in the pictures, so I'll be sure to rub those out before I put more coats on.

C&C encouraged!!

Thanks,
Dan

Roger Chandler
10-01-2010, 6:56 PM
Well I had to take some time away from the lathe for work, just when I was getting into it. But over the last week I was able to sneak out and practice some more, so here are my turnings number 2, 3 and 4
First is from a scrap piece, not sure of the type of wood, my son got to choose what I made with it. Guess what his favorite sport is. This one has no finish.

The two bowls are walnut and osage orange. Size is around 6" diameter, give or take 1/2". The walnut was GREAT to turn, and even smelled good. The osage was fun, but more dusty or waxy or something. Finish on both is 2 coats of shellac, and two coats of wipe on poly (so far). I just noticed some drip marks in the pictures, so I'll be sure to rub those out before I put more coats on.

C&C encouraged!!

Thanks,
Dan

Great bowls, and baseball bat also!

Mike Willeson
10-01-2010, 7:09 PM
Very nice Dan.

Walnut is always beautiful and the color of the osage orange is very nice...really jumps out!

Nice work.

Mike

Dennis Ford
10-01-2010, 9:03 PM
The bowls look very nice. The osage bowl looks a little thick in the lower part of the side, not a problem if the wood is dry but it might make cracking more likely if the wood is wet. You did a good job getting a clean surface.

David E Keller
10-01-2010, 9:14 PM
Nice work, Dan. The walnut is beautiful... both the wood and the form. The osage is a looker too, but I agree that it looks a little bottom heavy from the photos.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2010, 9:25 PM
Dan - nice work on everything! Good thing your boy isn't into football!

I really like the Osage Orange bowl the best because of the form. Everyone has different tastes - this one which is more of a Calabash style appeals to me.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Tony Pridmore
10-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Those are all nice pieces, Dan. The finish on both bowls looks great. I really like the OO bowl because of its profile and the wood color.

-Tony

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Bowls and bat look really nice.

Josh Bowman
10-02-2010, 7:35 AM
Dan, great job! Bowls and bat look nice. I too like the osage orange.

John Keeton
10-02-2010, 7:51 AM
Another vote on the osage - very nice form. The walnut is nice, too, and has some beautiful color, as well. Walnut is my favorite wood - period.

Dan Cannon
10-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for all the comments everyone...I'm partial to the osage bowl, just because the form actually turned out how I'd envisioned it, right or wrong. Either way, I'm having a ton of fun learning!

also, if anyone has any recommendations on finishing, outside of poly, I'm open to ideas, particularly on the walnut, as I have some of this wood left to turn. Not that I don't like poly, but I'm just interested in what else there is that works well for a utility bowl. I've not done any woodworking at all before this, so even the finishing aspect is a bit of a mystery to me.

thanks again,
Dan