PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak NE

Sean Hughto
10-01-2010, 6:35 PM
Having heard terrible things about turning red oak (and its porous grain structure; i.e., not good for utility bowls), I've turned my nose up at chunks of the stuff even though it is perhaps the most commonly available wood in my area. When some huge branches came down in a storm late in the summer in my next door neighbor's yard, I helped chop them up with my Stihl. They had the rest of the giant tree taked down recently and asked me it I would mind turning a bowl for them. I've cut a few blanks, including one from the failed crotch area. Here's a pic of my first attempt at turning red oak. Turning it was not particularly difficult (perhaps because it is still fairly green), and the failed crotch area had very interesting grain and bark stuff going on - rather like a burl.

Feel free to give me hoest opinions, advice and critique. I won't mind at all, even if you hate it. My wife told me that it is definitely NOT the one that's going to the neighbors, so I'm pretty well satisfied that I did ok. ;)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5042314377_50e83cb5b4_b.jpg

For those who may not have heard of failed crotches: When a crotch forms at a steep angle (like 35 as opposed to 55 degrees), a situation can develop in which bark is trapped between the trunk and scaffold limb (bark inclusion). This bark inclusion prevents layers of annual wood from growing together and creates the potential for splitting (which is why the huge limb split fromt he tree during the storm). The rim of this bowl is the bark inclusion. The grain gets wild in this area - much like a burl, probably from the stresses. The firty cent piece is just to show scale.

Thanks for looking! Have a great weekend.

Roger Chandler
10-01-2010, 6:54 PM
Sean,

That red oak is a looker for sure! Really nice NE, and such vivid grain in it!

Thanks for the post and the explanation that went with it.......just a great all around work!

Michael James
10-01-2010, 7:58 PM
I love it....I would be happy turning wood like that of any species for the rest of my life. I hope you wife meant that she was keeping it, not giving it out. That's the kind of stuff that just amazes me.... I never, ever saw that stuff untl I got here. thanks for posting!

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-01-2010, 8:01 PM
Sean,
The bowls are a knockout. They convey a sense of strength and would look great in a man's den. Your knowledge of bark inclusion was a real benefit for you. You knew just the right way to position the bowl in the blank. I just acquired a a 3' long chunk of red oak from a tree cut down by a friend. I didn't really want to take it due to the effort it took to get it home and the negative comments I have read about red oak as a turning medium. Now I believe I will look forward to trying it.
fmr

Tom Collins
10-01-2010, 8:14 PM
Sean,
Great form and finish. These are keepers. I don't understand the aversion some have to oak. I have found it to be quite nice to turn. Sure some of them (the oaks) have a bad odor while wet but it goes away when dry. I have found pin oak to be quite variable with some unusual grain patterns and dark streaking.

TomC

Cathy Schaewe
10-01-2010, 8:23 PM
That looks really nice. If it was still pretty green, are you expecting it to warp or crack? Or do you anticipate that it is thin enough that it won't crack? And you didn't have any concerns about putting finish on it?

Just asking because I have so much red oak - just rough-turned a piece of burl, and was figuring that drying would be tricky. Thanks for any thoughts you have -

Sean Hughto
10-01-2010, 8:47 PM
Faust, I'm sorry to have been confusing. There is only one bowl; it looks so different from each side that I included 4 shots to show it from different angles. Thanks for thr positive reaction.

ed hoxter
10-01-2010, 8:49 PM
sean, i think you should keep turning all the red oak you can find. i think they look great. i have some pin oak i want to turn soon, hope it looks as good as your red oak. ed

Richard Madden
10-01-2010, 8:53 PM
That looks really nice. If it was still pretty green, are you expecting it to warp or crack? Or do you anticipate that it is thin enough that it won't crack? And you didn't have any concerns about putting finish on it?

Just asking because I have so much red oak - just rough-turned a piece of burl, and was figuring that drying would be tricky. Thanks for any thoughts you have -

Good questions, Cathy. I was wondering the same things. I have access to a lot of red oak also, always turned it down because I thought it was notorious for cracking.

Sean Hughto
10-01-2010, 8:55 PM
I'm no expert with oak as this is my first try with it. I secured the natural cracks near the top with some super glue while sanding the piece. I'm going to dry it very slow in a couple paper bags and see what happens. It's worked fine for me with other woods. It may oval a bit, but we'll see. The only finish on it is a bit of boiled linseed oil and some beeswax. I don't know if I'm right or not, but I tell myself that the oil and wax helps slow the drying as well. The oil and wax on wood that's still acclimating (drying out a bit from its turning state) has not had any problems with many many other bowls I've done.

Sean Hughto
10-01-2010, 9:09 PM
I'll keep you posted and let you know if it self destructs. So far, I can tell it's drying (puckering at feather areas and the like), but it seems reasonably stable.

David E Keller
10-01-2010, 9:12 PM
It looks good to me, Sean. If all oak looked like that, it would be a more popular turning wood... That stuff looks great.

David DeCristoforo
10-01-2010, 9:28 PM
If all red oak looked like that, maybe people would not be so adverse to turning it!

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2010, 9:54 PM
Sean - that is some good looking wood but you nailed the form! Excellent! I can see why your wife wants to keep it! Nice work - very nice!

John Keeton
10-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Sean, fantastic looking bowl!! Some of the best looking red oak I have seen, and you did a great job with it. Hope it remains stable for you.

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Beautiful bowl and some really pretty wood.

Mark Hubl
10-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Awfully pretty Sean. The wood looks great and the form is strong. The NE looks good also. They are keepers.

Mike Cruz
10-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I really like it Sean! Both the form and the wood. I have a chunk of Oak Burl (so does Tony ;)) that we cut up a couple weeks back. It is quite dry though. I've had it about 10 years. If it comes out 1/2 as nice as yours, I'd be happy.

Mike Willeson
10-02-2010, 12:06 AM
I like it Sean. Beautiful piece!

Don Alexander
10-02-2010, 12:11 AM
any wood that looks as good as that does deserves to get turned regardless of the challenges

part of the fun is in overcoming the difficulties , if it was too easy , any ole fumblefingers could turn it and what would be the fun in conquering it then? :D

William Hutchinson
10-02-2010, 6:12 AM
Not only skillfully crafted and a beautiful piece, but your ability to envision the placement of the form within the blank to achieve an outstanding result is noteworthy.

Bill Bolen
10-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I've never seen Red Oak look so good. Beautiful piece...Bill..

Nathan Hawkes
10-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Really nice work with this piece. I can see why you're not allowed to give this one away! Red oak develops some wonderful coloration when its damaged or diseased! That bark inclusion must've opened it up to some spalting, because the lines in that wood are gorgeous! I think the less shiny wax surface is quite desireable on this piece; I think it really sets it off into more of an "ancient" patina than shiny and new, which IMHO wouldn't be right for the wood. Very nice.

Sean Hughto
10-02-2010, 5:29 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to look and to comment. Your encouragement means a lot!

I realized I neglected to post the measurements. For what it's worth, the bowl is about 10" in diameter and 8" tall.

Thanks again, Creekers!

neil mackay
10-02-2010, 6:17 PM
I'm impressed not only great timber selection but well executed to show the color and figure. Its definitely a keeper.