PDA

View Full Version : stain on lathe

Harry Goodwin
10-01-2010, 1:54 PM
I make a lot of pens and small items and usually like them in darker color blanks. You know what happened I have a lot of maple and light colored blanks that I am considering staining them even while on the mandrel.
Do any of you include staining or dyeing items while in the finishing mode.
How do you do it?
What do you use?
Thanks for your help. Harry

John Keeton
10-01-2010, 2:38 PM
Harry, I don't do pens, but I would encourage you to use dyes vs. stains. They will be more compatible with finishing protocols and, particularly with maple, the dyes will be much more effective. Maple and stain just don't seem to work very well.

Scott Lux
10-01-2010, 2:38 PM
I've used food coloring with good success right on the mandrel.

One caution, keep a shield of some sort handy for the ways. I use a large ziploc bag to cover the late under the object to be stained or finished. Some bits of metal in it keep it from being picked up by the shop vac.

dean griffith
10-01-2010, 3:27 PM
Harry I have turned a lot of curly maple pens and used alcohol based stain from W/C. I actually use a paper towel, pour on some DNA and then a few drops of the dye onto the paper towel at same time. Then apply on pen blank. It dries very fast and won't raise the grain. . works great Dean

Harry Goodwin
10-01-2010, 4:16 PM
much appreciated. Harry

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I stain or dye a lot on the lathe. I do lay a old ironing board cover over the lathe bed.