PDA

View Full Version : West epoxy 206

james susick
10-01-2010, 9:41 AM
This is to the guys who use 206 mix with the 105. What set up times are you getting. I just started using the 206 and after 30hr the squeeze out is still soft. The joint seems strong cause I did a test at the same time with other wood. It is in my 68-70 temp shop. The pump system is correct and primed right. Is the 205 a lot better to use??

Thanks
-Jim

Philip Rodriquez
10-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I allow 24 hours and I just look at left-overs to see when the joints should be ready. However, at your temps, you are on the border for the slow-set. If I were you, I'd bring it in the house if you are around 70 degrees.

Brian Penning
10-01-2010, 4:17 PM
This is to the guys who use 206 mix with the 105. What set up times are you getting. I just started using the 206 and after 30hr the squeeze out is still soft. The joint seems strong cause I did a test at the same time with other wood. It is in my 68-70 temp shop. The pump system is correct and primed right. Is the 205 a lot better to use??

Thanks
-Jim

Better to use in what way? If you mean faster to harden then yeah it's a lot faster. I'd say you have about 20 mins to use it. 3-4 hours it's almost rockhard.

Greg Portland
10-01-2010, 4:38 PM
Contact West Systems with your issue. They have extremely good tech support and can guide you to an optimal solution (may be higher temp, may be going with 205, etc.).

Mike Hollingsworth
10-01-2010, 8:20 PM
Tried that stuff for a year.
Mix Ratio way too critical for me.
I use System Three now.

Peter Quinn
10-01-2010, 8:28 PM

Thanks
-Jim

I'd say with the 206 hardener I see about 6 hours until the tack is gone, depending on humidity and air flow, higher humidity and/or less air flow slows things up a little bit. I've always waited 12 hours for a firm cure to pull clamps. 30 hours and still gummy? Somethings not right. Sounds like your mix is off, maybe the hardener nozzle isn't dispensing correctly? I've seen them get a bit air locked when not used for a while and not dispense a full dose on the first couple of pushes. If your mixing a small amount, that can throw things way off. I've also seen it go the other way (resin dispenser air locked) which gives too much hardener, makes a lot of heat in the pot, and nearly starts a fire. Best to avoid that!.

So check your pumps, maybe push a few shots of hardener into a paper cup first, then pump your dose into the actual mix, and pour what ever went into the cup back into the resin container. Sort of make sure its working right.

Also, make sure the epoxy product, the room you are working in, and the wood are all at the appropriate range. You can always throw an electric blanket over the whole assembly to speed things up a bit. Take it up to 90 degrees and see how fast it goes, but not until after assembly.

James Phillips
10-01-2010, 11:34 PM
The only problem I have had with West Epoxy is it melted the cup I mixed it in. THe stuff gets really hot when curing. I may have to put my plastic cups in an ice bath. It did this in the middle of the summer when I am sure cure times were accelerated therefore more heat was generated, but man....

Larry Edgerton
10-02-2010, 7:31 AM
The only problem I have had with West Epoxy is it melted the cup I mixed it in. THe stuff gets really hot when curing. I may have to put my plastic cups in an ice bath. It did this in the middle of the summer when I am sure cure times were accelerated therefore more heat was generated, but man....

Both heat and humidity affect cure times, as well as volume of epoxy mixed. I did the same thing when I first started using West System. The ice thing works, as well as spreading the epoxy out so that it doesn't have the same depth to the center of the mix. If I am brushing mortices & tenons on a hot day when I need time I cool the mix in the freezer for a few minutes before mixing. The epoxy will not start to cure until mixed so you can put it in the freezer in the same cup before stiring it up. Another thing I will do if I need more time is spread it out in a shallow pan so that it is not building so much heat in the middle of the mix. With it spread out it cools better/builds heat less, and slows the cure time.

I mix hardeners quite often with no problems. There is a section in the manual that adresses this or call their hot line, their techs are awesome and there is never a wait.

Peter Quinn
10-02-2010, 6:12 PM

I have a memory of a new guy at work running out the shop door with a plastic bucket in which he mixed WAY too much west systems, with WAY too much hardener to boot. It started to smoke a bit and melt the bucket.....not saying I am that guy...:eek: Seems funnier now than it did then!