PDA

View Full Version : Finally got some time in the shop

Matt Meiser
12-19-2004, 10:49 PM
I finally got some real time in the shop this weekend. I finished a project started years ago, built my daughter's train table and got some time in on the hanging tool cabinet I'm building.

First, a quilt rack I started for my wife about 3-4 years ago. We've actually been using it unfinished most of that time. When I originally started building it, the wood split about near the top on one end and I gave up, planning to make a new end. Three years later, the split hasn't moved at all, so I finally decided to just fill it and finish the project. The finish is Watco danish oil.

Second, my daughter's train table. Santa and an uncle are giving Thomas the Train wooden train sets for Christmas and I'm building the table. The table is made of poplar and baltic birch finished with oil-based paint sprayed with my HVLP gun. I have a piece of hardboard painted with grass and water that fits into the top which was still wet when this picture was taken. I'll post finished pictures once Santa comes.

Finally, I got some time in on the hanging tool cabinet I'm building myself. I'm using walnut and some maple(?) ply I had. Most of the walnut is from some home center glued up panels my brother gave me. They had used the panels as shelving in a previous house and no longer needed them. They weren't the best quality (very visible glue lines) and I decided this was the perfect use. Still have a lot of work to go, but before today there wasn't storage for a single tool designed. I hope to get a lot more time in on this over the holidays. Still haven't decided on a finish, but I'll probably use BLO or some kind of oil finish so that I can touch up easily.

Thanks for looking.

Wes Newman
12-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Matt, Great looking projects. I wish I had just a few of those planes that you have. Maybe next Christmas. I'm sure your daughter will love the train table, can't wait to see the finished pics. My son has one, but it's one of those overly priced store bought ones that someone got him a couple of years ago for Christmas.

Merry Christmas