PDA

View Full Version : Numbered bowls...misleading

Mike Cruz
10-01-2010, 9:09 AM
So, how do you number your bowls? Is it as they are completed, or as you had turned them (as in green bowls that may have been sitting around for 6 months)?

I was thinking about this because I turned a green bowl a week ago, but it'll sit for quite some time before it is finished. If I turn other bowls (not green) they'll be finished way before this one. I would think that by numbering your bowls, you are in essence giving a timeline and showing your progression as a turner. Thus, showing how your skills improve. But, with green bowls being turned, this kinda screws that whole thing up. :confused: My form, shape, and skill set (going from basic to more fancy) might change dramatically in 6 months, yet the bowl I just turned is limited in what it can "become" with its final turn.

So, what say you? On what basis do you "number" your bowls/turnings?

Sean Hughto
10-01-2010, 9:15 AM
I just date them as of completion. I don't care much about the exact order - 20 years from now, knowing it was done in 2010 will be close enough to remind me where I was in my turning progression.

John Keeton
10-01-2010, 9:23 AM
Mike, there was a thread sometime ago on signing/dating turnings. The guys that had been at it for awhile seemed to think numbering bowls was not a good idea. If the number was low, it could indicate lack of experience by the turner. If the number was high, it looked like a production turner. Catch 22.

I numbered mine initially, but have stopped doing that and merely date them with the year as Sean does. I do keep digital images in numbered folders, however, so I know the order of completion.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2010, 9:25 AM
I date them once completed - the whole numbering thing can get confusing/complicated in short order.

I learned the hard way - when roughing - if you stick to the classic forms, you will be safe when it comes time to finish turn them. Get real creative when roughing - and a year later you'll wonder what in the heck you were thinking!

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I agree with Steve and John. I don't number my bowls. I just date them the day I finished them. I have some 30 bowls or so roughed and drying. The numbering thing gets to confusing to me.

Wally Dickerman
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
When I rough turn a bowl I put the date on it. If it's wet it'll normally be dry in 6 months. If it's semi dry I put a date on it that I think it will be dry.

I don't date pieces that are to be sold. What for? I do date pieces that are given as gifts. I sign my name and put on the species of wood. Customers always want to know that.

Some turners have a system of numbering on every piece. Geez, If I started with #1, after all these years I'd be way up in the thousands. I do have bowl number 1. Turned it in 1936 at age 15. I gave it to my mother, then forgot about it. My sister died recently and she had it. I have looked it over and hey, it ain't bad.

Wally

Tony De Masi
10-01-2010, 1:07 PM
No numbering here either, just date completed.

Mike Cruz
10-01-2010, 1:13 PM
Good to know, guys. Thought everyone was supporting the "numbering your bowls" idea. When I get tired of it, I'll stop...

Rob Holcomb
10-01-2010, 3:46 PM
I have a branding Iron I got from Rockler. It says "Handcrafted By", then under that is my name and under that is the year completed. I use it for any woodworking project whether flat work or turning (provided there's enough room to burn it into the piece).

Steve Kubien
10-01-2010, 6:25 PM
I number my work as it is completed. Now, I will throw a number/letter in magic marker on a rough-out if it is going in my fridge-kiln. I'll weigh it first and that way I can keep track of its drying progress.

Neil Strong
10-02-2010, 8:13 AM
When I rough turn a bowl I put the date on it. .....

I don't date pieces that are to be sold. ...

If I started with #1, after all these years I'd be way up in the thousands.

Ditto to those points, and in my case, at least in excess of a thousand.

Allen Neighbors
10-02-2010, 10:48 AM
"The quality goes in, before the name goes on.."... How many of you can remember that ad?
Well, it's mine now. When the bottom is finished, I burn in the wood type, julian date, and my brand.
The julian date can be figured out, but it's not blatant, and some folks just don't want an old bowl... :D Well... at least unless it's really old - antique.