PDA

View Full Version : Hazards of spraying shellac

Matt Lau
10-01-2010, 2:41 AM
After trying to brush shellac for body coats on my guitar, I'm eager to try spraying shellac instead. I hope to spray body coats, and do the final french polishing at the end.

What type of hazards should I worry about?
I'll be mixing fresh shellac from dry flakes.

Also, what safety precautions should I take?

Dave Gaul
10-01-2010, 8:42 AM
The hazzards are simple.. Shellac is mixed with denatured alcohol.. alcohol is extremely flamable.. You should only spay if you have a proper spray booth with explosion proof fan for ventilation...

Even with brushing, you should avoid applying near open flames and sparks.

Also, not a safety thing, but if you've never mixed flakes, mix them 2 days prior to your finish date. Just mixed my own flakes for the first time, and it took almost 2 full days for them to disolve completely, and don't forget to strain it too.

Prashun Patel
10-01-2010, 9:05 AM
Try to spray it outside.

In the end, the vapors are not as toxicologically hazardous as lacquer or some other varnishes.

You might try padding shellac. There are so many articles on how to do this 'properly'. But IMHO, the real secret to a flawless finish is thinning it. Mix to 1.5# or thinner, pour it into a squeeze bottle (and old shampoo bottle is great). On the 1st few coats, you can squirt right onto the wood. As you build, it's better to squirt into a rag or lintless papertowel (blue shoptowels are awesome). Start at one end, work yr way across and start immediately at the beginning. Keep going until it starts to get sticky.

After a few coats, you can polish it however you wish (French polish, abrasives, wax/wool)

Neal Clayton
10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
agree on spraying it outside. even if the overspray travels far enough to stick to something else, it's just shellac, sun and water will eventually wash it away. it's harmless once the alcohol is gone.

Scott Holmes
10-01-2010, 1:24 PM
Shellac vapor can get you VERY drunk. From what I've heard it is a terrible hangover the next day.

French polish is a technique. You will be padding shellac; not doing a "French polish" which uses pumice and sanding surry to fill the grain.

Steve Schoene
10-01-2010, 9:30 PM
And given the amount of methanol in lots of denatured alcohol brands, maybe even "blind" drunk.

Rich Engelhardt
10-02-2010, 7:18 AM
Target makes a water borne shellac product.
You might want to call finishingzone(dot)com and discuss it with them.

FWIW - I've never used or even seen the product, I just know it exists.
Had I had a bit more lead time on the 6 panel Oak doors I just put in, I would have given it a try.

It's called Oxford UltraSeal-WB.

Steve Kohn
10-02-2010, 9:40 AM
[QUOTE=Scott Holmes;1525830]Shellac vapor can get you VERY drunk.

+1, based on first hand experience.

Curt Harms
10-02-2010, 8:37 PM
And given the amount of methanol in lots of denatured alcohol brands, maybe even "blind" drunk.

Sounds like a respirator with the appropriate cartridges would be an excellent investment.

Jim Becker
10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
As already mentioned, good ventilation (and no open flames) as well as a proper mask for the operator.