PDA

View Full Version : Texas Ebony haul and NE bowl

Kathy Marshall
10-01-2010, 2:10 AM
Picked up some texas ebony today from a tree trimmer advertising on craigslist, stopped by a fellow turner's after work and we split one of the pieces to see how it looked inside. The ends had some cracking and checking and was just kind of a dull brown with lighter sap ring. Split it lengthwise and WOW! The heartwood is almost black and the sap wood is yellow! Left a couple of pieces with my friend (and I think we may go back tomorrow, pick up the rest of the tx ebony and go through a pile of misc wood).

When I got home, I cut the ends off one of the smaller pieces until I got to clear wood, then cut it into a round NE blank. This one looked more like mesquite (lighter colors in heartwood and sapwood), then I split one of the other pieces and it was the same as the one we split at my friend's house. I made another NE bowl blank and I'll start (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/#) on that one tomorrow with my new Easy Wood tools (scheduled for friday delivery http://www.woodturnersresource.com/yabb2files/Templates/Forum/woody/cheesy.gif).

The NE bowl is from the 1st piece (lighter color) it's about 5" tall 4" wide give or take. Sanded down to 400 and applied sanding sealer. I'll work on the finish tomorrow, probably go with wipe on poly, but may just try an oil finish.
Going to be a busy weekend!

Tom Sherman
10-01-2010, 6:44 AM
Kathy that's a great gloat, the wood looks like it will be fun and could yeild some wonderful turning.

John Keeton
10-01-2010, 7:29 AM
Kathy, sure looks like mesquite! Nice work. The other block is really eye catching, too, and I look forward to seeing it turned.

Robert McGowen
10-01-2010, 9:27 AM
That blank looks like it will make an interesting looking bowl. Good luck with it!

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Really nice looking NE and the other looks like it will make a interesting bowl.

David E Keller
10-01-2010, 2:33 PM
Sounds like a good haul. The texas ebony turns well with a nice contrast between heartwood and sapwood.

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2010, 3:54 PM
Kathy - good looking NE! Looking forward to seeing ti finished!

Congrats on the wood! Striking color difference!

Michael James
10-01-2010, 8:06 PM
Wow, I never even heard of T ebony until Jeff asked me if I knew where to find some. Nice looking wood, and I do have a guy looking for some for me. I'm glad to see you're contiinuing to learn and grow, and your efforts are showing in your work. Keep em coming!