PDA

View Full Version : New SCMS

David Cefai
09-30-2010, 3:35 PM
As of a few hours ago I am the owner of an SCMS.
When cutting a 45 deg bevel is there a technique for cutting exactly where you marked? The saw does not have a laser!

I am getting pretty close to the cut line I want but tend to be out by 0.2mm or thereabouts.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Will Overton
09-30-2010, 4:20 PM
With the saw off, bring the blade to the board. Move the board until the cut line is lined up with the blade. Clamp the board in place, then make your cut.

Just in case you don't know, you pull the blade out, then down and finally make a push cut.

Jay Runde
09-30-2010, 5:23 PM
You could put a sacrificial fence on the saw, and make your angled cut with it first. Then line up the piece you want to cut using the cut you already made on the sacrificial fence.

Jeff Monson
09-30-2010, 5:58 PM
With the saw off, bring the blade to the board. Move the board until the cut line is lined up with the blade. Clamp the board in place, then make your cut.

Just in case you don't know, you pull the blade out, then down and finally make a push cut.

Dont forget to double check what side of the line you are cutting on!!!
Dont ask me how I know...:(....1/8" is a long ways to be short.

Ben Martin
09-30-2010, 8:19 PM
You could put a sacrificial fence on the saw, and make your angled cut with it first. Then line up the piece you want to cut using the cut you already made on the sacrificial fence.

As well:Enjoy having a tear out free cut! :D

David Cefai
10-01-2010, 1:21 AM
Great responses! Thanks.

Now I have to wait till a "reasonable" hour to give the neighbours a chance to wake up.

Mark Ashmeade
10-01-2010, 7:52 AM
Depending on the quality of the saw, 0.2mm is about right for the accuracy of a SCMS in my experience. I do not believe a laser would get you any closer.