PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Drill Doctor XPA? It's on sale at Rockler

Vince Lok
09-30-2010, 2:56 PM
Hi guys, I got a flyer from Rockler saying that between 10/2/10 and 10/29/10 the "Drill Doctor XPA" would be on sale ($80 from $109). I can't find any reviews of it at all. I'm not even sure I need it cuz $80 buys a lot of drill bits.

Anyone used this one? Or any Drill Doctor at all?

Vince

Dave Gaul
09-30-2010, 3:08 PM
I recently got the 500 model. I like it. Yes, $80 can buy alot of bits, but if you are buying good bits, it goes quick!
I recently used the DD to sharpen a general bit from a super cheapo set to drill through some aluminum pipe for a trampoline safety net. I sharpened the bit and split the point with the DD... worked like a champ!

You must take the time to read the instructions, and practice on a cheap or broken bit first...

Bill LaPointe
09-30-2010, 3:36 PM
I have had the 750 for a couple of years. Spent a couple of days sharpening and sorting all the drill bits I have accumulated and was going to sharpen "one day". Money well spent. It really doesn't take that long to spend $80 on bits.

Cary Falk
09-30-2010, 3:40 PM
I have the cheapie model. I don't remember which one. It was money well spent

glenn bradley
09-30-2010, 6:30 PM
I'm not even sure I need it cuz $80 buys a lot of drill bits.

That is what has kept me in check on this and other deals. It seems like it should be such a cool thing to have but, I almost never use split point bits and judging by my count over the last 5 years; I would be no where near paying for that thing yet. They just seem so clever.

Jim O'Dell
09-30-2010, 9:36 PM
I'd be all over that sale, but my Dad gave me an old B&D power sharpener. I've used it on all of my bits, and it does a fair job. I'm sure the DD would be much better. But I can save some money for now. Jim.

Paul Johnstone
10-01-2010, 2:22 PM
Hi guys, I got a flyer from Rockler saying that between 10/2/10 and 10/29/10 the "Drill Doctor XPA" would be on sale ($80 from $109). I can't find any reviews of it at all. I'm not even sure I need it cuz $80 buys a lot of drill bits.

Anyone used this one? Or any Drill Doctor at all?

Vince

I forget which model I have, but it's a nice tool.
If you take an evening and sharpen up all your bits, they will drill so much better.. There's a lot of bits I had which technically still worked, but were dull enough that sharpening really helped them.. Now, if I was so motivated, I can make my bits like new as often as I want.
I'm not going to buy a new set of drill bits every so often to get the same level of performance.

Joe Chritz
10-02-2010, 5:34 AM
I'm with Paul. I don't know which model but it is about a year old and I like it a lot. Pretty simple to use, fast and does a very nice job. Much better than free hand like I used to do.

When you get to bigger bits the cost is saved very quickly.

Joe