PDA

View Full Version : Plywood bits?

Tony Sade
12-19-2004, 8:58 PM
I'm going to start a shop cabinet (for planes and such) after Christmas and am going to be using some ply-oak or birch-that I haven't picked up yet. Since I'll probably be using the router to make the dados (some stopped) a, I thought I'd pick up some plywood router bits, the ones that fit today's ever shrinking ply. Any recommendations for a decent bit(s)? Fast shipping would be nice too. Thanks, and very Happy Holidays to all.

Jim Becker
12-19-2004, 9:12 PM
I just bought a set from Infinity to "try out" this vendor and although I have not used them yet, they appear to be of very high quality. That said, the one thing about using router bits for this purpose is that they may not be exactly the same size as your particular plywood...there appears to be a big varience in the consistancy of thickness even within a batch. In a sense this almost makes using one of the jigs that actually use your plywood as a sizing pattern to be a better idea in some respects...or a stacked dado cutter with shims to get an exact match.

brent lenthall
12-19-2004, 9:13 PM
Tony,

I've started using my router to make dados (rather than trying to control large cabinet parts on the TS), but decided to make a jig that allows a 3/4" dado in two passes with a 1/2" bit. It's a common jig, but it allows you to use a scrap of the plywood as a spacer to get perfect fitting dados. Also, because the router is between the two jig sides, you don't risk mistakes with the router drifting away from a one sided guide.

If you do want plywood bits, I really like the CS at woodline http://www.woodline.com I pick up, but from other comments they are really on top to things and will be shipping from TN and quick to east coast, SE or Midwest.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Jim, I got mine from Infinity last weekend. I have used the 3/4 and the 1/4 one and what you said is very true, esp from the box stores. I have some 1/4 birch and 1/4 oak from Loews and the birch is tad loose, while the oak is loose. I also had some birch from the local hardwood dealer and is is nice and snug on the 1/4 and 3/4 ply.

Steve Jenkins
12-20-2004, 4:49 AM
With the thickness of plywood varying from piece to piece as much as it does I've given up on trying to get anything to cut a good fitting dado in one pass. I suggest looking at the Microfence, www.microfence.com . If you haven't seen one it is one heck of a system. Granted, it's is not inexpensive but for accuracy it can't be beat. Check out their website it has a lot of good info.
With it's micrometer adjustment ( marked in divisions of .001) it's simple to tune your fit to whatever tolerences you want. If you are working with "3/4" stock just use a 1/2" bit. Make one pass, measure the width of your dado and the thickness of the stock subtract one from the other and move the fence whatever the difference plus the allowance you want for glue.

Thomas Prondzinski
12-20-2004, 7:13 AM
Tony
I have been using a dial a dado on my router with perfect results everytime. I have had no luck with the plywood router bits as all plywood is different thickness.

Tom

Jim Becker
12-20-2004, 8:48 AM
I suggest looking at the Microfence, www.microfence.com (http://www.microfence.com/) .
As a happy owner, I'll also recommend this product to anyone who wants awesome precision for things like this and bang-on inlay work. And it will work with just about any router, too. That said, some creativity will be involved to use it for cross dados on very long stock, but it can be done...just index on the previous dado!