PDA

View Full Version : cart and downdraft table in one?

Bob Riefer
09-30-2010, 1:59 PM
Here's a thought for a cart/downdraft table that I'm looking for input on.

Basically, I'd make a box 8" deep x 2.5' wide x 4' long. The top of the box would be peg board, the bottom would be solid. Inside, slanted surfaces to a central point. 6" dust collection connection on one short end of the box would be connected to the dust collection system (2 hp HF blower, 6" pipes throughout... it's all I can afford for the near term).

The box will sit on legs with casters for mobility. Storage shelves underneath. And a solid top will be hinged to cover the pegboard when not in the sanding stage of a project (thus allowing the cart to be used as a normal shop cart up until the end of the project when sanding will occur).

So, while I understand my dust collection plan is not as robust as it ultimately needs to be... Do you think there's merit in trying to control sanding dust by building a table such as the one above and connecting up to a branch during sanding? And do you think the proposed design could be improved, or is it fairly close as it's described?

Thanks!!!

Bob R.

(edited to show 6" main and branches intead of 4"... I keep flip flopping on that... but I'm final.. 6" it is)

Thom Sturgill
09-30-2010, 4:53 PM
Anything you can do to reduce inhaling fine dust is to the good. I see no reason that your idea will not work. You may need to reinforce the pegboard though.

Ryan Hellmer
09-30-2010, 5:25 PM
Shopnotes (the magazine) did some great plans for a downdraft cart like that a while back. I think it was issue 103 p 24? Anywho, its basically what you describe. http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/103/extras/mobile-sanding-station/ Yes they work, yes the cut down on dust. I would recommend considering a self-contained unit with a squirrel cage and furnace filters. It could double as an air cleaner. If I ever get mine built I'd send pictures, but it's been a year or two in the process.... :(

Ryan

P.S. I don't get Shopnotes, but I did get a bunch of the plans for things (like this) that I would like to build from the local library. The coolest part is, even though my local library didn't have copies, they got copies for me from a library in Iowa. Anyways, never underestimate the power of a decent reference librarian.

glenn bradley
09-30-2010, 5:54 PM
+1 on libraries. As for downdraft tables, BTDT. I found a shop vac hooked to my sander worked many times better at keeping dust out of the air. My ROS actually sucks up stuff that is nearby while I am sanding. I have a CleanStream filter in the vac so the fines are controlled and the filter is quick and easy to clean.

Joe A Faulkner
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
This site shows an combination outfeed table, down draft table, parts table. It might give you a few good ideas as well.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/p...ding_table.htm

Dick Thomas
10-03-2010, 1:57 PM
This site shows an combination outfeed table, down draft table, parts table. It might give you a few good ideas as well.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/p...ding_table.htm

Joe - Check your link: Got a 404 error when I tried it. :confused:

Tom Hargrove
10-05-2010, 3:01 PM
Bob -
I think its a good idea. I think you will have to reinforce the top and perhaps laminate two pieces of pegboard to get enough strength. I read about a similar project somewhere, and the author ended up drilling every other hole in the pegboard bigger (3/8" IIRC) in order to get enough airflow to pull the dust into the box.

Hooking up to an existing system makes sense if it has enough airflow, especially if you are looking for a double duty bench/cart. However, I'm not sure that a 6" duct located on one end will pull dust from the opposite end of a 4' x 2'6" x 8" chamber. You may want to make it a bit smaller.

Good luck.

Bob Riefer
10-05-2010, 3:10 PM
However, I'm not sure that a 6" duct located on one end will pull dust from the opposite end of a 4' x 2'6" x 8" chamber. You may want to make it a bit smaller.

Bill Pentz does a calculation on this on his website... and although I'm good at math and think the fine dust issue is one to be concerned with, I'm embarassed to say that I just couldn't make it through the calculation :o

That said, I am assuming that you are correct that the area I'm proposing is about double the size it needs to be effective. My less than scientific approach that I have in mind is to start with that size, and then close the surface until I hit a point where the downdrafting is optimal. I plan to simply plug holes around the edge with tape until I find the right pattern, and then make a nicer top to fit that pattern.

Perhaps an ugly way to go. It's tough being a newbie sometimes :)