PDA

View Full Version : Incra miter sled users

John Coloccia
09-30-2010, 11:34 AM
How do you store yours? Drill holes through it? Hang from the handle? Toss it under the saw like me (that's why I'm looking for a better way).

Kyle Iwamoto
09-30-2010, 1:18 PM
I have no answer, but, how do you like the sled? After making a VERY nice birch/koa 89 degree sled,:mad: I'm looking into that sled. I store my 89 degree sled outside. I should hang it on the wall as a substitute for a picture, since it LOOKS nice and took me a week to build and try to adjust.

John Coloccia
09-30-2010, 1:29 PM
I have no answer, but, how do you like the sled? After making a VERY nice birch/koa 89 degree sled,:mad: I'm looking into that sled. I store my 89 degree sled outside. I should hang it on the wall as a substitute for a picture, since it LOOKS nice and took me a week to build and try to adjust.

I love it, actually. I still use my shop made sled for larger items or real rough/quick cuts, but I find the Incra extremely useful. I would buy another one if this one broke.

I have a trick for aligning shop sleds, by the way. I put the miter bar in the slot on a dime (just enough to get over the top of the slot, and stick some double sided tape on it. Then I take a large, accurate, square, and place if on the saw blade. Then I take a straight edge and lay it across the bottom of the square. That straight edge is now presumable 90 degrees to the blade. Then I place the sled on the miter bar, being sure to flush it up with the straight edge. I place it BACK SIDE FORWARD as it's the back side that will determine the angle to the blade.

Of course you have to make some marks and be sure you're locating the miter bar properly so it'll be OK when you turn it around, but I've done it like this a few times now, and the back edge always comes out dead 90 degrees. Then it's just a matter of lining up your stop with the back edge, and it's done.

Anyhow, that works for me. There are lots and lots of really excellent ways to pull of that alignment.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-30-2010, 2:06 PM
Hmm, my sled has that safety extension so I won't cut myself when the blade passes through the rear fence, so I can't turn my sled around to cut. I may again try to straighten the sled, but for some unknown reason, I just cannot get it to 90 degrees. There are SO many holes in my sled from trying to move my miter bars.

Brian Kincaid
09-30-2010, 2:44 PM
...After making a VERY nice birch/koa 89 degree sled...

Thanks Kyle that was very funny! What, you didn't need an 89 degree sled?

I hang my miter bars/sleds/stuff on the wall or on the machine using nylon rope. It's a sort of non-committed approach because it doesn't make any holes in metal.
-Brian

Paul McGaha
09-30-2010, 2:48 PM
John,

I store my Incra Sled laying flat on the bottom shelf of my assembly table.

Plan to build a drawer for it (one of these days).

I would drill some holes in the miter express and wall mount it like I do with my shop made sled but I dont want the miter gauge to be supported by just the fasteners built into the miter gauge bar.

PHM

John Coloccia
09-30-2010, 2:51 PM
John,
I would drill some holes in the miter express and wall mount it like I do with my shop made sled but I dont want the fence to be supported by just the fasteners built into the miter gauge.

PHM

My thoughts exactly. It just seems like a recipe for slowly go out of square with time.

Oh well. I guess I'll continue tossing it under the saw.

Cary Falk
09-30-2010, 3:38 PM
For lack of a better spot, that's it leaning against the drawers. It wouldn't fit in.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0210.jpg

Rick Pettit
09-30-2010, 3:53 PM
Why not shime the 89degree sled to 90. Cut another piece of stock and put a shim in between it and the offending backstop. Make test cuts adding feeler gauges for shims until you get a perfect 90. Then remove the screws from the original backstop and clamp it to the one that is now at 90 degrees. Mount it permanently to your sled and remove the one you used to true the crosscuts.

Paul McGaha
09-30-2010, 3:57 PM
It will take a pretty big drawer to hold it.

I have (2) 3 ft x 6 ft tables running end to end that make up my miter saw station. I was thinking of building either some new tables with built in drawers or make some drawer units that will go under the existing tables for storing things like the sled, the dovetail jig, other hard to store items.

PHM

Tim Null
09-30-2010, 5:01 PM
I made a series of small shelves next to my table saw. The shelves are not in line with the table itself. So the saw can actually roll between the shelves, since I am in a one car garage. This area was dead space since I needed it to be accessible for certain cuts.

I did the same method as a wood rack. Two long pieces glued together with blocks in between. The spaces are the exact size of the arms. Screwed baltic birch on top for the shelf. Supports are bolted to wall studs.

One shelf is for my sled and a few other saw accessories. The other two hold other items that I want easy access to.

I tried hanging it from the wall, but it was too difficult to get to easily.