PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Jamieson Hollowing System

Tom Hamilton
09-30-2010, 8:18 AM
Greetings Fellow Turners:

A new Jamieson Hollowing System is on the bench and I'm getting ready to install it on the lathe. I have the DVD and instructions but thought perhaps there is some collection wisdom in the Creek on this subject.

So, if you tips/tricks to make this process go better/faster/quicker please chime in.

Thanks, Tom, in Douglasville, reading the instructions one more time.

Joe Bradshaw
09-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Tom, I also have the Jamison system and it works a treat. Follow the instructions carefully. I kept grinding and filing on the tool bar and the bit holder to get the flats for the set screws. I replaced the hex heard screw that holds the bit clamp with a socket head set screw. I also used the blue lockite instead of nail polish to hold the screws. I also discovered that dry wood does not work as well as green. Have fun and enjoy.

Lance kanaby
09-30-2010, 2:04 PM
Watch the enclosed DVD several times and then proceed with a simple project at first until the system works well for you.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-30-2010, 2:30 PM
Tom,

Watch the video and go for it. It worked for me.

Enjoy!

Tim Rinehart
09-30-2010, 7:26 PM
I would suggest trying to take a relatively small piece, and if you can visualize, use a 1" or so forstner to bore some holes randomly around it, about 1" or so deep.

While getting the feel for hollowing, these holes will provide quick cleanout of chips, but more importantly, it will allow you to better see what's happening as you feel your way into the vessel.

I kind of happened into this by accident by hollowing some early pieces that had a lot of voids.

Have fun, I really enjoy hollowing for the vessels you can create.

Tom Hamilton
09-30-2010, 8:51 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm on it tomorrow. Tom