PDA

View Full Version : Old plane info please

Jim Dunn
12-19-2004, 7:41 PM
I have in my posession a Stanley plane and am looking for any and all info about it as I know nothing about it at all.:eek:

It has Stanley on the chip curling thingy Union #5 on the back plate by the handle and the bottom of the plane is ribbed. It measures 13 1/2" in over all length.

I promise to post photo's as soon as I can get my community property digital cam back.

Now I realise the above description will result in some belly laughs, but as soon as you can get up off the floor, please post a description or at least the best use for this type of plane.

If I've struck the jackpot and it's worth millions of dollars:rolleyes: well then:p thanks would be in order.

Keith Christopher
12-19-2004, 7:52 PM
Sounds like a 5 1/4C Stanley. If it was a #1 well then you'd have alittle bit of money on your hands. The stanley #5 is 14" long this is what makes me think it is a #5 1/4 C. I am far from an expert on these but this is my guess.

Keith

If it is a #5 I snarfed these from the WWW.

User Info<SUP>1</SUP>: The most common general purpose bench plane and to many carpenters, the workhorse of their toolkit. It is a very good plane for general smoothing work and long enough to do some jointing. Almost every shop has one of these planes, and for its size, weight, and width of cutter, it is a must have for amateur or serious woodworkers. It is ideal for rough surfaces where the coarser cut is desired, but it is also suitable for obtaining a smooth and flat surface. This plane is considered by many as the first plane to use for general preparation of wood stock because its added length gives more stability for heavier planing work. Most users prefer types manufactured after 1907 that have the fine frog adjustment features. The 5C is perferred by many for working on resinous woods. The corrugated provides less friction, making the plane glide easier.

Jerry Palmer
12-20-2004, 9:01 AM
Actually, it is probably a Union #5 with a Stanley lever cap replacing the original which got lost or broken. A lot of the plane makers in days gone by, as well as today, followed the Stanley/Bailey numbering system for their bench planes so yours would be the equivalent of a Stanley #5 Jack Plane. The Jack is sorta a workhorse of bench planes and would likely be the one a Craftsman of old would latch onto first. Decent for removing stock (though a bit heavy for a scrub plane though some recommend setting up an old clunker jack as a scrub plane) and nearly long enough to get fairly straight edges on shorter pieces for edge glueing.

What's it worth? As a keeper with some tuning done, it could be a decent plane to use. What ever value a Union might have, though, is mitigated by the lack of the original lever cap. But don't despair, Unions are not that valueable to c*llect*rs anyway.