PDA

View Full Version : No. 17 - Cedar Classic - "Critique Requested"

James Combs
09-29-2010, 11:17 PM
I haven't posted for a while due to some work on the shop, insulation and such. I took a break a couple weeks back and turned this cedar bowl.

My goal was to see how big a bowl I could get out of a 7" cedar log.

Material - Eastern Aromatic Red Cedar
Sanded to 800grit
Diameter - 6"
Depth - 2"
Finish - 3 coats of Waco Danish Oil Natural
3 stage Beal buffed (just got the Beal system)

Notable Process - First extensive use of skews - 5/8" and 1" (eliminated a lot of end grain tear-out.)

Scott Hackler
09-29-2010, 11:38 PM
James, love the simple shape of this bowl. Frankly I just love it when people use cedar and keep it simple. Cedar is such a striking wood that it doesnt need a fancy form. Looks pretty thin as well. My critique might jsut be a flaw in the photo. Picture #2 looks like there is dark banding through the sap wood, like a sand paper burn of something. Cant really tell if its a finishing blooper or what. Other than that it looks pretty darn good.

I stuggle with finishes on cedar because I want to leave it it "un covered" so people can smell the cedar.

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2010, 11:40 PM
James that is a beauty. I really like the simple form of the bowl. I love turning cedar.

James Combs
09-29-2010, 11:46 PM
James, love the simple shape of this bowl. Frankly I just love it when people use cedar and keep it simple. Cedar is such a striking wood that it doesnt need a fancy form. Looks pretty thin as well. My critique might jsut be a flaw in the photo. Picture #2 looks like there is dark banding through the sap wood, like a sand paper burn of something. Cant really tell if its a finishing blooper or what. Other than that it looks pretty darn good.

I stuggle with finishes on cedar because I want to leave it it "un covered" so people can smell the cedar.

Wall Thicknes varies from 1/8" at bottom thru 3/16" mid side to 1/8" at top.

Something in the wood. It was there while gouging and skewing. Didn't have to do much sanding on the outside.

William Hutchinson
09-30-2010, 6:37 AM
Your goal has been accomplished, I don't think you could have gotten a bigger bowl from a 7" log. Using skews is like my (former) golf playing--four holes hitting like a pro and in the water on the fifth. Your skew work is like a pro, very nice job.

The red cedar is a blend of heart and sap wood that offers the eye a treat at every turn. The asymmetrical nature of the white/red coloration unbalances the piece at certain viewing perspectives.

The utilitarian form with a well supportive base and thin walls gives a sturdy but delicate appearance. Your turning and finishing skills are notable and this is one piece that would be a joy to own.

Josh Bowman
09-30-2010, 7:17 AM
Nice shape, beautiful grain. The brother in law just pushed over a big cedar. Think I'll go hack me out some chunks and try it. Do you like the buffing system? Do you think it helps?

John Keeton
09-30-2010, 7:20 AM
JD, unless the tree was perfectly round, and without using the bark, I would say you squeezed every inch out of that cedar!! Beautiful finish and nice work on the form, too.

I wondered where you had been, but knew you were trying to winterize the new shop. Hope to see you at the next club meeting!!

Fred Perreault
09-30-2010, 7:59 AM
That is a beauty, James. I too like the sapwood exposure with cedar, and your simple form is elgant. Yesterday I followed a small dump truck for 3 miles with cedar logs in it. They took it to a local stump dump. I came home smiling after the driver helped me throw the big stuff into my pickup. Within 2 hours I had halved most of the bigger pieces and sealed the with Anchorseal.... 16 blanks in all, 14" or over in width. Cedar is a common tree on our "sandbar", but they are either closely crowded skinny ones, or older humongous ones that don't come down often. It is usually given away because it is not a hardwood for firewood.

Roger Chandler
09-30-2010, 8:57 AM
Wall Thicknes varies from 1/8" at bottom thru 3/16" mid side to 1/8" at top.

Something in the wood. It was there while gouging and skewing. Didn't have to do much sanding on the outside.

JD,

Do I understand your above statement that you used a skew on this bowl? If so, you are a braver man than I :eek:;)

Lovely bowl. Cedar just finishes up so nicely. Congrats on getting your shop insulated!

Matt Ranum
09-30-2010, 9:52 AM
I like it, nice traditional form and the contrast in the grain is beautiful. Thats doing pretty darn good to get that sized bowl from a tree of that size.

James Combs
09-30-2010, 11:28 AM
JD,
Do I understand your above statement that you used a skew on this bowl? If so, you are a braver man than I :eek:;)
Lovely bowl. Cedar just finishes up so nicely. Congrats on getting your shop insulated!

I initially shaped it with a scraper but had some tear-out on the end-grain sides. I had been reading in several places about how much better the surface is using a skew so I gave it a try and got lucky. It "cut" out most of the tear-outs and really smoothed out the rest of the sides. I re-sharpened them twice in the process. Of course the inside was just a gouge, scraper and sand paper. For my gouge I use my normal go-to tool which is a round carbide tipped tool.

James Combs
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
JD, unless the tree was perfectly round, and without using the bark, I would say you squeezed every inch out of that cedar!! Beautiful finish and nice work on the form, too.

I wondered where you had been, but knew you were trying to winterize the new shop. Hope to see you at the next club meeting!!

Luckily the bark on a cedar is pretty thin.

On the shop I got a ridge vent in place, retrofitted the solid sofet with ventilated type, painted the outside white (two coats primer, one coat finish coat), and added gutters (gutters not shown). Currently in the process of installing rafter vent channels and overlaying them with insulation. I decided against the spray foam due to cost. I am using plain old R13 fiberglass. I will be posting a shop tour later in the "Work Shops" forum. The photos show "before" and "after".

David E Keller
09-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Overall, it looks good. I like the form and the wall thickness seems appropriate for the size. It looks like there's still a little endgrain tearout in the last photo, but that's about the only negative that I see. Cedar is such a pretty wood, but it gives me fits because of tear out and finish consistency.

That's quite an improvement on the shop. It looks like that big walnut burl had little log babies.

James Combs
09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Overall, it looks good. I like the form and the wall thickness seems appropriate for the size. It looks like there's still a little endgrain tearout in the last photo, but that's about the only negative that I see. Cedar is such a pretty wood, but it gives me fits because of tear out and finish consistency.

That's quite an improvement on the shop. It looks like that big walnut burl had little log babies.

Yes there is a small amount.:( It is one of those types of blemishes that shows up only after you apply finish so I left it.:o However, you should have seen it before the skewing.:eek:

Bill Bolen
09-30-2010, 1:41 PM
Nothing to complain about here! Fine form and a very nice finish. Well done...Bill...

charlie knighton
09-30-2010, 3:39 PM
very nice.....

Joe Little
09-30-2010, 4:21 PM
Classic shape and beautiful color. What's not to like?

Steve Mawson
10-01-2010, 7:01 AM
Well done and great looking shop. That much room would be great. Temps starting to fall around here so good luck getting finished before cold weather.