PDA

View Full Version : Spalded Cook Pine

Kim Ford
09-29-2010, 9:17 PM
A Spalded Cook Pine from Maui. 13 X 7 sanded to 600; Dura Seal #210 Neutral soaked, buffed and engraved for a presentation. This one has a lot of color and spald. Thanks for looking.

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2010, 9:24 PM
Nice form and some really amazing color in that wood! Also, nice idea to add the detail lines around the rim but with the dark wood - they tend to get lost.

Tim Rinehart
09-29-2010, 9:28 PM
That is some amazing looking wood, especially the colors on the bottom. I agree with Steve's comments on the form and accent rings.

Now I have to go look up that tree!! My wife and were married, er "Maui'd" on Maui!

Michael E. Thompson
09-29-2010, 9:33 PM
Lots of charactor in that wood. Nice form too. Never heard of cook pine. Is it soft and sappy like other types of pine?

Nice work.

John Keeton
09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Beautiful wood, and the grain pattern is striking!!

Kim Ford
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I really don't know the difference either, however the person I got the wood from said it was a "Cook" but after reading this link they may have been wrong. Oh well, "Cook" is my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://tree-species.blogspot.com/2007/12/norfolk-island-pine-vs-cook-pine.html

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for posting. I always enjoy seeing wood that I have never even heard of let alone seen. It makes a striking bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Great looking bowl. That is some beautiful wood.

Allen Linton
09-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Wow, nice wood. Great turn!

William Hutchinson
09-30-2010, 7:03 AM
The coloration of the wood is outstanding and the darker tones with the touch of red give the piece a marble like stature. The recipient will surly appreciate your selection an unique material and turning abilities; this will become treasured piece.

David E Keller
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Beautiful wood. I've turned a little cook in the past for pens, but it was nowhere near as pretty as your piece. The coloration reminds me more of norfolk pine which also grows in Hawaii, but I'm not smart enough to tell you the difference. I love the brilliant coloring of the knots especially the one shown in the last photo.

James Combs
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I would never have dreamed that any "pine" wood could be so beautifully colorful. You have a really nice bowl/vessel there Kim.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-30-2010, 1:28 PM
Not that I'm an expert, but Cook island pine is very similar to Norfolk pine. Major differences are in the branches. The NIP has an even array of branches, all the branches are on the same level. The CIP branches are in a whorl, the step up like in a spiral starcase sort of pattern. IMO CIP is nicer wood to work with, but the NIP if you turn an end grain bowl has the branch knots evenly spaced around the bowl is really cool looking.

Mark Hubl
09-30-2010, 10:01 PM
That is a beauty. The wood is striking and I like the shape of the bowl. It will be appreciated for sure.