PDA

View Full Version : Inlaid Vessels....

Wally Dickerman
09-29-2010, 6:32 PM
Okay, Im digging way back in my stash of pics. Every so often I get the urge to try something different. A few years back I did several of these inlaid pieces.

When doing the inlay bands the groove for the inlay must be absolutely perfect in dia. so that the pattern isn't interupted. The joint should be very hard to find. I made a small square nose scraper, undercut on both sides a bit to do the groove. It's a matter of cut and try. If you remove a tiny bit too much wood, you have to shorten the inlay and start over (#$%^&*)The inlay bands can be bent if they have a curved surface to bend it on.

The piece on the left is maple, the other myrtlewood.

Woodcraft has the inlay strips.

C and C welcome

Wally

Brian Brown
09-29-2010, 6:36 PM
Wally,

These pieces look great! I always wanted to try the inlay, but I know I will never get the diameter just right.

John Keeton
09-29-2010, 8:31 PM
Wally, those are really neat! I suppose one could intersperse 3 or 4 'spacers' in the inlay - perhaps have a single link in a dark (walnut?) background that could be trimmed to fit. That may make it easier to make it come out right, and still look decent, as well. Love the maple one, particularly.

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2010, 8:36 PM
Wally that is a great looking piece. I can see now I need to get some of that inlay that I have passed many times because I didn't know if it would work. Looks like it will work great.

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Very intersting. I don't believe I have seen one done like that.

David E Keller
09-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Wally that is a great looking piece. I can see now I need to get some of that inlay that I have passed many times because I didn't know if it would work. Looks like it will work great.

My thoughts exactly. Just wondering how tight a circumference could be wrapped with that type of inlay? Would steaming or heating work, or would it destroy the material?

Reed Gray
09-30-2010, 3:27 PM
I saw an interesting variation at our last club meeting. A turner turned a recess on the outside of the bowl, an inch or so down from the rim, and then scrollsawed some letters out of a contrasting wood and glued them into the recess. If you plan, and are a master on the scroll saw, you could do it that way.

robo hippy

Mark Hubl
09-30-2010, 9:53 PM
Wow, funny you should post these. I have a piece of banding in the shop that I used on some flatwork a while back. I have been wondering what it would look like on a bowl and was wrapping it around some pieces the other day. Now I know what to expect. Thanks.