PDA

View Full Version : save of a different kind!

Jack Mincey
09-29-2010, 6:18 PM
This bowl was perfect until I decided to stain it with my steel wool in vinegar solution that I've used on turkey calls with great luck. On this vase it muddied up the end grain so bad that I mounted the thing up using a jam chuck and sanded the outside back down to the bar wood are as close as possible. I left the inside since it looked OK. I still had to stain the outside with a stain to cover up the spots that wood not sand out completely. I'm ok with the finish now but not crazy about it. Be warned, while the steel wool vinegar solution works great on small items, it can be a disaster on a larger item.
Thanks,
Jack

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_2457.jpg

Dennis Ford
09-29-2010, 6:23 PM
Nice save, it looks great. I have not tried any dye treatments yet, it seems like they are a big risk; either really good or just awful.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2010, 6:53 PM
Interesting save Jack.

I would be surprised if dyeing any large turning wouldn't be difficult to get an even coverage.

Allen Neighbors
09-29-2010, 7:46 PM
I wonder if you need to completely submerge a large piece in order to get it covered well....
I think you made a nice save on it, anyway. Almost a beaker shape...

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2010, 8:42 PM
Nice save Jack. Really a nice looking piece.

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2010, 9:21 PM
Jack - you didn't give any dimensions to your piece - so I can't compare what I have dyed up to this point. Some of my hollow forms have been 9" diameter x 5" high and I found that I had to totally saturate the piece - twice - with dye to get a uniform color. Then, after it dries, sand everything back to reveal the level of grain that you want.

This is a nice looking vase and I really like all the curl!

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Looks good to me. Did the inside look "ok" because it was the inside/can't see it or did it absorb the dye differently?

Jack Mincey
09-30-2010, 6:16 AM
Thanks everyone. It is 7" tall by 5" in Dia. The inside absorbed the solution better than the outside so I left it alone. Since I had removed the tenon the inside would have been very difficult to sand anyway. It made the vase to have a two tone look that I kind of like anyway. This piece was turned from a corner that I cut off a large bowl blank. The form is a new one for me, I think I will try it again maybe with the top necked down a lot more.
Thanks again,
Jack