View Full Version : Put off!

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 4:55 PM
Last evening the LOML stated that she wants me to get that bookcase made, that she has been after me to make for over a year now. Of course, that sounds like a long time waiting for her, but in the mean time, I had to build cabinets, sink vanity, etc for a bathroom remodel, and do the remodel.....all new plumbing, electrical and fixtures, floor, etc.

Now that winter is fast approaching, and hunting season is upon us, and the fact I do not have a heated shop and glue won't set up below 50 degrees ......it looks like I am going to have to put off some turning, and get to the bookcases :eek:

It would not be appropriate to have all those other tools besides the lathe, and not use them as well, right? It looks like fluted pilasters and crown molding are in my near future!

Looks like most turning will have to wait for a while, but I am still going to try to sneak in some small and quick pieces while no one is looking! :D;)

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2010, 5:29 PM
I feel your pain! Every once in a while I have a flat-work project that has to get done. Thing is - you still have time to turn while the glue is drying!

On another note, my wife is waiting for some overhead cabinets for the kitchen! Seems like there is always some turning project that I have to complete before the wood checks! She's been patiently waiting for about 4 years now and as soon as I can take a break from turning, I'm gonna jump right on that!

Robert McGowen
09-29-2010, 5:38 PM
The last flat work project I did was a large end-grain cutting board.

Of course when I got it finished, I decided to mounted it to a glue block, turn it round, and put a nice groove around the outside.

Surely something you are doing will need some round pieces!!! :)

John Keeton
09-29-2010, 5:45 PM
Roger, I've got it!! Tell Ms. Chandler you need to do radius corners, and turn the crown mold for them!!:D

I went through this same thing a couple months ago with bookcases. Got that behind me - and, getting ready to head to the treestand this evening!!:)

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 6:13 PM
Roger, I've got it!! Tell Ms. Chandler you need to do radius corners, and turn the crown mold for them!!:D

I went through this same thing a couple months ago with bookcases. Got that behind me - and, getting ready to head to the treestand this evening!!:)

JK,

Our season opens on Saturday, and I have a woodturners meeting at the local club, wouldn't 'ya know it! I am thinking about playing hookie, but we are having elections of officers, and I am nominated for one of the positions........what to do, what to do :confused::D I guess that buck might have to wait till the evening hunt! :D

Radius corners, huh...........sounds like a plan to me ;):D:D

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 6:18 PM
I feel your pain! Every once in a while I have a flat-work project that has to get done. Thing is - you still have time to turn while the glue is drying!

On another note, my wife is waiting for some overhead cabinets for the kitchen! Seems like there is always some turning project that I have to complete before the wood checks! She's been patiently waiting for about 4 years now and as soon as I can take a break from turning, I'm gonna jump right on that!

Four years Steve? I thought I was bad :eek::D:D:D:D I actually like building kitchen cabinets with raised panels and cope & stick joints, out of solid wood. The next set I build, I am going to do the arched panels instead of straight. Nothing as pretty in a kitchen or bath as high end cabinets out of solid wood [IMHO]

My problem is, that when folks find out you can do this kind of thing, they all want you to do it on the really really cheap, as a favor, as in nothing for your time, your supplies, or installation. I have had to learn how to say NO!!!

Joe Adams
09-29-2010, 6:55 PM
My problem is, that when folks find out you can do this kind of thing, they all want you to do it on the really really cheap, as a favor, as in nothing for your time, your supplies, or installation.

I had a neighbor ask me to build her some bookshelves...because the ones at IKEA were too expensive.

Cathy Schaewe
09-29-2010, 7:46 PM
JK,

Our season opens on Saturday, and I have a woodturners meeting at the local club, wouldn't 'ya know it! I am thinking about playing hookie, but we are having elections of officers, and I am nominated for one of the positions........what to do, what to do :confused::D I guess that buck might have to wait till the evening hunt! :D

Radius corners, huh...........sounds like a plan to me ;):D:D

I didn't realize the season opened that early further south. Bow season opens here Oct. 15th or so, and regular gun season opens early-mid Nov. Personally, I can't wait - those 60 or so deer in the field keep eating my flowers.

Sorry for hijacking!

Terry Quiram
09-29-2010, 8:22 PM
Put the thing together with pocket screws then you don't have to worry about glue.:D

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 8:31 PM
Put the thing together with pocket screws then you don't have to worry about glue.:D

Terry,

Pocket screw are the easy way out! I've used them for face frames before, but these bookcases will be dado's all the way, and any other hidden joints like biscuits to join the stiffeners on the shelves and the fluted pilasters as well.

Nice thought though!

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2010, 8:33 PM
I feel your pain Roger. We have been doing a lot of traveling especially since grandma retired. We spent most of the summer helping our son, DIL and grandson move to Wichita so not much turning especially when you aren't home. Turned 4 items all summer. Thankfully my shop has AC/Heat. Hopefully that is done for a while now and can get caught up on my clock work then get some turning in.

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 8:39 PM
I feel your pain Roger. We have been doing a lot of traveling especially since grandma retired. We spent most of the summer helping our son, DIL and grandson move to Wichita so not much turning especially when you aren't home. Turned 4 items all summer. Thankfully my shop has AC/Heat. Hopefully that is done for a while now and can get caught up on my clock work then get some turning in.

I'm glad you are getting all settled in for a while, Bernie. That helping other people move is a lot of work. It is bad enough when you have to do it for yourself! [shoot me now! :eek::D:D:D]

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 8:41 PM
I didn't realize the season opened that early further south. Bow season opens here Oct. 15th or so, and regular gun season opens early-mid Nov. Personally, I can't wait - those 60 or so deer in the field keep eating my flowers.

Sorry for hijacking!

No hijacking at all Cathy! Hey, hunting is my first passion, and woodworking is my second as it relates to recreation. I hope you get a chance at a wallhanger, and if you do, you go ahead and hijack another thread with a picture! {please? :):D;)}

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 11:45 PM
I had a neighbor ask me to build her some bookshelves...because the ones at IKEA were too expensive.

Joe,

Your neighbor must think that wood is free, saw blades and glue don't cost a thing, you have nothing but time on your hands, and it is not worth anything after all, the electricity to run your wood working equipment is given to you by the power company, and that you get everything in bulk, so you can easily compete with stores like IKEA, and other giant retailers.

Not to mention your effort to accumulate all those skills, and the money it takes for router bits, and all those big machines in your shop..........hey, nothing at all to that wood working thing, is it?!

Neighbors, gotta luv 'em! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Tony Wheeler
09-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Roger you are missing a sure shot here it would be the prefect reason to get heat in the shop a project like this takes time trust me it took two years to get my bath done but it got moving a lot faster after she stole the breaker to the lathe

Roger Chandler
09-30-2010, 6:47 AM
Roger you are missing a sure shot here it would be the prefect reason to get heat in the shop a project like this takes time trust me it took two years to get my bath done but it got moving a lot faster after she stole the breaker to the lathe

Hey Tony,

I like the way you think! :D

David E Keller
09-30-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd make my wife clean off the table saw, jointer, etc if she wanted me to build something... That would be a tremendous turn off for her.

Roger Chandler
09-30-2010, 1:37 PM
I'd make my wife clean off the table saw, jointer, etc if she wanted me to build something... That would be a tremendous turn off for her.

Watch it David, you might have to cook your own dinner! :eek::D

David E Keller
09-30-2010, 3:11 PM
Watch it David, you might have to cook your own dinner! :eek::D

If my wife actually cooked dinner, I'd probably build her the bookcase. I think I married from a generation where the art of cooking has been lost.

Roger Chandler
09-30-2010, 3:13 PM
If my wife actually cooked dinner, I'd probably build her the bookcase. I think I married from a generation where the art of cooking has been lost.

Well, in her defense, she does have her hands full at present with little miss Lauren...:)

David E Keller
09-30-2010, 3:15 PM
Well, in her defense, she does have her hands full at present with little miss Lauren...:)

True, but the lack of culinary interest predates either child. Besides, she's had her hands full with me for quite a while!

Roger Chandler
09-30-2010, 3:20 PM
True, but the lack of culinary interest predates either child. Besides, she's had her hands full with me for quite a while!

Touche' :D

Duff Bement
09-30-2010, 3:22 PM
How about a round bookcase, say, the dia. you can turn on your lathe. (hope you don't turn on mini).:D

Roger Chandler
09-30-2010, 5:12 PM
How about a round bookcase, say, the dia. you can turn on your lathe. (hope you don't turn on mini).:D

Duff,

Unfortunately, the book cases must cover a large section of a wall, and turning them isn't an option for this project.........oh well! ;)

Mike Cruz
09-30-2010, 9:55 PM
Better do it quick or you might end up with a piece from IKEA...