PDA

View Full Version : Ventilated Segmented Vessel...

Wally Dickerman
09-29-2010, 3:28 PM
For a change in pace I turned several of these spaced segmented pieces about 12 or so years ago. I kept this one because I probably won't ever do any more. There are jigs available now to control the spacing but I just eyeballed mine. I can recall that the first one was a disaster (at least I thought it was). I reluctantly tossed it. A learning experience. Cherry, maple and walnut. There are a lot of possibilities for designs when doing these.

C and C's welcome.

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2010, 3:47 PM
Beautiful work Wally! I like the design but I really love the form!

When you have the time - it sure would be nice if you put together a photo gallery of your work for everyone to enjoy! If you would like some assistance - let me know!

Sean Hughto
09-29-2010, 3:53 PM
Looks great from here. Strikes me as potentially hard to dust - maybe with a vacuum equipped with a brush attachment?

Harvey Ghesser
09-29-2010, 4:35 PM
Wally,

Your work displayed is always eye candy!
Thanks for sharing!

Harvey

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 4:38 PM
Nice stuff Wally!

Take Steve up on his offer to post a gallery of your work.........it would be interesting to see the things you have turned. :)

John Keeton
09-29-2010, 4:51 PM
...but I just eyeballed mine...That is the difference between a true craftsman and artist, and the rest of us!! Your spacing and joinery on this looks fantastic, Wally. I really would like to see a gallery put together! It would be such a treasure for the creek!

Larry Dubia
09-29-2010, 5:08 PM
That is one very sharp piece. Although I thinks it needs to checked closer. Just send it to me.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. I have tried one segmented bowl and made a mess of it. It was ventilated as well. That is very hard to do.

I commend the artist in you for such fine craftsmanship.

Larry

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-29-2010, 5:19 PM
Wally, nice job of "eye balling" and what everyone else said.

Wally Dickerman
09-29-2010, 6:10 PM
Beautiful work Wally! I like the design but I really love the form!

When you have the time - it sure would be nice if you put together a photo gallery of your work for everyone to enjoy! If you would like some assistance - let me know!

Okay Steve, That's an addition to my "to do" list. Darn thing seems to keep growing.

What's the max size for pics in an album?

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2010, 6:48 PM
Wally - the max size for a gallery photo is 650 x 650 pixels with a file size no larger than 97.7 KB.

Let me know if I can help out in any way! Looking forward to seeing your gallery!

Chris Colman
10-01-2010, 6:21 PM
It is very simple to control the spacing.

Make an index wheel that you can attach to the back of your faceplate.
If you are doing 12 segments (like the one you made) you make a wheel divided into 24 spaces.
For one layer, use even numbered stops. For the next layer, use the odd numbered stops.

Michael James
10-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Wally,
I live in the SW and have spent the majority of my life here, and Im just enamored with the geometic shapes in a lot of the native art here and elsewhere. Im hoping there's time on my "to turn" list to get around to a segmented piece, rather than airbrushing...... a gallery of your work would be appreciated. Thanks for posting.
mj

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Beautiful Wally. Really nice form.

Bill Bolen
10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Your segmenting work, choice of wood and color is outstanding. BUT I love the form you chose best of all...Bill...