PDA

View Full Version : Would a honey locust tree attract skunks?

Stephen Tashiro
09-29-2010, 1:05 PM
Would the pods from a honey locust tree attract skunks? - or attract insects that would attract skunks? There are no squirrels in the neighborhood, but the occasional skunk wanders in at night and I don't want too many of those.

ray hampton
09-29-2010, 1:19 PM
I am not an expert on skunks diet but I would say yes to
the locust pods---how many skunks are too many ?

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2010, 7:30 PM
I am not an expert on skunks diet but I would say yes to
the locust pods---how many skunks are too many ?

ONE!!

We don't see them around here, plenty of other creatures but not skunks. When we lived in California our dog got sprayed once, not an experience I would like to repeat. I don't know about the locust pods, but since they like berries and fruit I'd say probably. They also like insects, grubs, small rodents, snakes, frogs, mushrooms, pet food, bird food, garbage, and eggs. In our case we had an orchard with 40+ fruit trees, of course some dropped before picking and that seemed to attract them.

Jim Rimmer
09-29-2010, 9:14 PM
I haven't tried it but my Dad said it worked: sprinkle moth balls in the area and it will repel them. :confused: let me know if it works.

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2010, 9:23 PM
I haven't tried it but my Dad said it worked: sprinkle moth balls in the area and it will repel them. :confused: let me know if it works.
That does work on cats, to keep them from using your garden as their cat box.

Rob Young
09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Would the pods from a honey locust tree attract skunks? - or attract insects that would attract skunks? There are no squirrels in the neighborhood, but the occasional skunk wanders in at night and I don't want too many of those.

Skunks like to eat grubs. Check your sod around the tree for grubs. Treat accordingly.

Mike Cruz
10-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Not an experience YOU would like to repeat?!?! How 'bout your dog? Bet he'd like to avoid it, too! Of course, our canine friends/family aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, and will likely do it again, and again, and again if given the chance. Mine's been sprayed 3 times if I recall correctly. Come to think of it, once was fairly near a Honey Locust...