PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Question

Sean Troy
09-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Does anyone actually use the splitter and blade guard that comes with their saw? I was cleaning up the shop and came across mine that I never installed for what ever reason. I have a Griz 1023SLW and use the Excalibur overarm dust collector. Should I install it and just remove the blade guard or what? Thanks, Sean

Joseph Tarantino
09-29-2010, 1:11 PM
i admit to bewing lax where the blade guard is concerned, but whenever i am rippiing dimensional lumber, i always install the saw's splitter. the only times i've had unpleasant experiences with my TS has been when i neglected the splitter while ripping lumber. i should use the guard, but i should also eat more green vegetables.

Rod Sheridan
09-29-2010, 1:52 PM
Sean, you certainly should re-install the splitter on your saw.

I had the Excalibur on a General 650 and put a Merlin removable splitter on it........Great combination...........Rod.

Darrin Davis
09-29-2010, 1:55 PM
Find one that's easy to install and remove in seconds. Biesmeyer maked a great splitter/finger quick release for most model table saws. I'm spoiled, I have a sawstop and it comes with a blade cover, spliter, and fingers all in one piece. I can take it off in about 5 seconds and vise versa putting it on. Good luck!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2010, 2:03 PM
I always use my guard and built in splitter unless I am making dado cuts.

Joe Kieve
09-29-2010, 2:56 PM
+1 for what Ken said. I taught woodworking years ago and I actually believed what I taught. Never had serious accident the entire time.

joe

Alan Lightstone
09-29-2010, 4:13 PM
Always use it, except when making dadoes.

Also I am spoiled having the Sawstop combined guard, riving knife, pawls, DC port.

Sean Troy
09-29-2010, 4:42 PM
Looks like I have a project for tomorrow morning. thanks for the help, Sean

Gary Hodgin
09-29-2010, 8:13 PM
Always use blade guard and splitter except on non-through cuts. Didn't always, but have for past five or so years.

glenn bradley
09-29-2010, 8:17 PM
I always use the guard and the splitter whenever possible. Neither are stock.

Matt Kestenbaum
09-29-2010, 9:11 PM
I use the blade guard and riving knife always on my SS PCS, unless using the a crosscut or miter sled and then its the riving knife. Dados are the one time I don't use either.

Van Huskey
09-29-2010, 9:38 PM
Riving knives changed my habits, I use them all the time now, but use an over arm guard so I don't use the stock blade cover now.

John Coloccia
09-29-2010, 9:43 PM
I never used mine when I was young and dumb. I'm not young and dumb anymore. Sometime you get lucky. I can still count to 10 and have no cracked ribs :) (not from a table saw, at any rate).

The older designs were truly terrible. It was almost like they just naturally expected us all to yank them off. Many newer saws have far better designs and I can't imagine using a saw without one at this point.

Aaron Berk
09-29-2010, 11:43 PM
It's not a splitter, but to answer the OP's question. I use my riving knife 100% of the time, unless the cut won't allow it (ie: 8" dado on my 12" saw)

This should have been a poll

Phillip Ngan
09-30-2010, 1:14 AM
If I ever feel tempted to not use a splitter on the table saw, I think about the movie clip of this UFO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcS0TAabedc) (unintended flying object).

George Beck
09-30-2010, 6:42 AM
I would not use a table saw without a riving knife and guard. When I remove them for dado cuts or tenon cuts, I use secure hold downs. Many woodworkers developed poor habits because there was a time back in the pre 80's days, when saw guards were so poor that it was almost more dangerous to use them. (Remember some of those plastic blade guards that didn't really do anything but show you where the blade was.) Today's saw, since American saws have adopted the riving knife are much better and there is no good reason not to use them.

Sean Troy
09-30-2010, 7:42 AM
It seems the older I get, the more respect (fear sometimes) I have for wood working machines. I find myself looking to use all the safety features I can.