PDA

View Full Version : Variations on a Theme

John Beaver
09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
These are some pieces from an idea I'm experimenting with. My original idea was to create staves and add protruding inserts but I wanted the main body to be more uniform. With end grain vessels it works better because it's easier to have the grain direction uniform. On the face grain bowls I have been playing with changing the inserts grain direction so it aligns with the bowl.

I have tried a few different ways to resolve the base, and these samples show the different ideas.

I am still fishing for a name for the style. "Protruding Staves" and "Flying Buttresses" are a couple but I am open to suggestions.

Descriptions are: Maple / Mahogany, Tipuana Tipu / Wenge, Carob / Purpleheart, Walnut / Mahogany, Wormy Oak / Walnut

### See next post for a few more angles.

John Beaver
09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Interior of Maple / Mahogany, and a Birch / Zebrawood vase.

Thanks for looking,
Comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Bruce Boone
09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Very cool. It would appear that the cup on the right will just have to stay half full. ;)

John Keeton
09-29-2010, 12:11 PM
John, you have done some wonderful work here!! I love the concept, and while I think it works better on some than others, all of these are extremely well done!

For titles, I would include "winged" in the title, or "in flight" vs. flying.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
John,

Very creative and well executed. I like them all.

"Ribbed"....."Variegated"....

Dennis Ford
09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Those are great. Very high quality work. I agree with "Ribbed" for a theme name. Would you consider sharing a couple of pictures of the process?

Mark Hubl
09-29-2010, 12:57 PM
John, Excellent pieces and unique work. I like your concept.

Tim Rinehart
09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Hey, nice thinking outside the box on those.

I would say the only thing I'd be curious to see, which may provide some additional 'lift' to them, is for those that have a definite 'foot' with the protruding stave to remove the foot part so that the piece essentially is supported only by a very small flattened area from the protruding staves.

If that makes sense, I'd suspect it raises additional technical questions on support of the piece while turning, but I suspect it's doable with a little thought.

I can't think of anything clever to name these, but can't wait to see more of these. I've done a staved vessel once...and it wasn't pretty.
Right now, I'm trying to figure out how you do this. I'm guessing you do this by leaving some of the accent stave shy of final shape and then the insert afterwards can be well, inserted, into the void.

Whatever you did...you did it well.

Ok, now I'm thinking it is done by completely turning the exterior without the inserts and a papered glue joint. Then, take apart, insert the accent pieces and glue up followed by turning interior.

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 1:08 PM
Very UNIQUE!!!

Frank Van Atta
09-29-2010, 2:42 PM
Definitely something different, and a concept to build on - although I still prefer your wave bowls.

Great website, by the way. I gained 3 lbs. just watching the food commercials. :cool:

Scott Hackler
09-29-2010, 3:32 PM
John, those are really cool and it took me quite a while to wrap my head around how you did them. I think I have it figured out now and might try to copy the concept to try out your technique.

The lidded form is great.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Sean Hughto
09-29-2010, 3:51 PM
I think it's a really interesting concept, and certainly no small technical feat. If it were me, I might experiment with some non-uniformity in the: (1) sizes of the sections; (2) the shapes of the dividing material within a single piece; (3) the colors/woods used to fabricate the dividing sections with a single piece; and (4) letting the dividers come through on insides too (or instead). Just some thoughts for exploration in the vein your mining here. Keep the pics coming!

Wally Dickerman
09-29-2010, 3:57 PM
John, I really like what you've done here. I can see lots of possibliities to play with. You mentioned doing some using side grain. Could you have problems with wood movement doing that? I would think that all staved construction would be better done using end grain.

Wally

John Beaver
09-29-2010, 6:43 PM
Thanks for the comments. I can address a few questions.

Dennis: I didn't take any pictures, sorry.

Tim: You are close, I finish turn the outside, then cut it apart, add the inserts and then turn the inside. Challenges are lining up the center perfectly and clamping. Also, extreme care must be taken when cleaning up the rim and base not to nick the inserts. I usually sand the last 1/64 or so.

I tried it with staves and temp. joints, but I didn't like the fact that the wood was different on each stave. This way the grain continues through the inserts.

I appreciate your comments on the base. I still have a few more things to try. Another idea is to make a foot the same material as the inserts. This way it will look like the bowl is resting in the inserts. You're idea may work too, but it's technically more challenging.

Frank: Thanks for looking and commenting.

Sean: Good suggestions. I have thought of a few of those ideas already.

Wally: I am aware of the grain issues. With end grain it's easy. On the second face grain bowl (walnut w/ mahogany) I cut the inserts to match the direction of the grain on the bowl. It uses more wood, but solves the grain problem. With all the humidity changes we have had here in So Cal this past couple of weeks both bowls are holding up well.

Larry Marley
09-29-2010, 8:00 PM
you have been a busy (John) Beaver!

I think you are on to something here. Very nice!

Bernie Weishapl
09-29-2010, 8:41 PM
John those are really unique and beautiful pieces. Really well done.

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Those are very imaginative and quite striking! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
09-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Great idea and execution... I particularly like the pieces pictured in the last photo of each post. I'd love to see any future creations with this technique.

Thom Sturgill
09-30-2010, 7:29 AM
Very nice, Since you turn the outside and then cut the vessel for the staves, I assume that you cut, glue, then cut and glue the next, and so forth. So far it seems that you are trying to stay simetrical to the center and it might be interesting to try an almost random set of chords that appear regular on the outside....

I do like the suggestion of removing the foot so that the staves form the support. Heres another idea - when you cut and shape the staves, bandsaw them into three pieces so that you leave a groove in the outside that the other pieces fit into later. Might make working the base easier.

Tom Hamilton
09-30-2010, 7:45 AM
John, those are wonderfully innovative pieces. Congrats on conception and execution. Counselor Keeton's suggestion to include "winged" or "in flight" as part of the "branding" gets my vote also.

Thanks for sharing the photos and some insight on how they are made.

Cheers, Tom