PDA

View Full Version : Larger bow saw dimensions and questions

Rich Purdum
09-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm finally getting around to making a frame for a 27-1/2" Putsch blade I picked up from Woodcraft a few years ago. I've searched the web and this forum for some plans or dimensions but can only find versions for smaller saws. (FYI, this site does not allow searching for short words like "bow" and "saw", so searching here was a problem.)

I can try to estimate dimensions by looking at posted photos but thought I would ask first.

At a minimum I need some guidance on the overall length of the brackets (the vertical members) and the position of the stretcher. I'm also guessing that the brackets need to be meatier in the larger saw.

It also appears that unlike the smaller saws which are held from the "handle", the larger ones are operated by holding the bracket. It this correct?

Finally, what are the pros and cons of the various materials to use for the cord?

TIA
Rich

Andrew Gibson
09-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't have much first hand knowledge on large frame saws, however there is an article about a large bow saw in this months (october) issue of popular woodworking that might be somewhat useful. The article is by Michael Dunbar

ray hampton
09-29-2010, 1:46 PM
If you want a wooden bow saw the Roy Underwood web site
might help you

Andrae Covington
09-29-2010, 2:45 PM
...(FYI, this site does not allow searching for short words like "bow" and "saw", so searching here was a problem.)...

For words less than four characters, use the google search of sawmillcreek (see partial screenshot attached).:)

Or if you're using google search in general, you can tell it to only search a specific website.

bow saw site:sawmillcreek.org (http://www.google.com/search?q=bow+saw+site%3Asawmillcreek.org)

Rich Purdum
09-29-2010, 3:08 PM
Andre, thanks for the search tip!

Rich Purdum
09-29-2010, 6:36 PM
Unfortunately the article is about technique and does not cover design other than some items to look for in a saw.

Steve Sharp
09-29-2010, 7:36 PM
Rich, I have an old bow saw with a blade length of about 31" that I could give u pictures and dimensions on if it would help.

Rich Purdum
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Steve, sent you a PM. A pic would be great, maybe with a ruler so I could extrapolate other dimensions.