PDA

View Full Version : another nova question

Charlie Reals
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
There is a post by someone who found an alternative to the standard nova belt. I have searched and can't find it. My belt is about to go and I am not happy with tekna tools service. I have checked with T.V. Geist Manufacturing,Inc. (http://timstoolcrib.com/contact.htm)
and don't have a lot of faith in their reply.
charlie

Alan Trout
09-29-2010, 10:34 AM
If you call at about 7:00AM Eastern time Tim will almost always answer the phone. He just is not that tech savvy and does not do well with e-mails. He is a heck of a nice guy and very helpful. If you have a belt pulley specialty store by you take it to them and I know they will match it up. I have one in my city and have never had a belt that they did not have or could get.

Alan

Paul Douglass
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I order one directly from Teknatool's website. They promptly sent the order to Tim and he shipped it. Took only about a week to get it.

Charlie Reals
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I order one directly from Teknatool's website. They promptly sent the order to Tim and he shipped it. Took only about a week to get it.
I ordered from tt's site on the 17th, emailed Tim yesterday and was told it went out yesterday. At this point it has not been added to my credit card so unless they ship without charging, someone is bsing someone:D. My closest belt house is 100 miles away and so far no luck matching it.
charlie

Paul Douglass
09-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I hear you, I am not a fan of Tek's service. Yes Tim is probably a nice guy but I don't feel I should have to get up at 4 A.M. to call and talk to someone. Maybe he is trying to improve on it. I e-mail him a question a few weeks ago, figured I wouldn't get a response but wala got one the next day.

Alan Trout
09-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I just ordered from two different co. The other day and both of those charges still have not shown up on my debit card and I know they have both shipped. So I guess that is possible.

Far as talking to someone is still my prefered method of any kind of support. I find I get better answers much quicker. Nothing I hate more than 10 e-mails to get the same info in a less than 5 min phone call. However I am typically up by 5AM most mornings. I have had nothing but excellent service when I have used Tims preferred method of comunication.

Alan

Andrew Kertesz
09-29-2010, 2:10 PM
I'm not trying to hijack anyone's thread, but I figured since I had the attention of a bunch of Nova owners I would ask. I tried to register my lathe for the warranty on the Nova site and keep getting errors. Naturally an email to Teknatool went unanswered. Any thoughts?

Steve Vaughan
09-29-2010, 3:52 PM
I've not had any problems with the website responses or getting in touch with Tim...wonder if there's some sort of changes going on?

Mike McAfee
09-29-2010, 6:50 PM
I gave up on TT (perhaps prematurely) when ordering belts a few months ago.

I called the WC near me and got the run around about it not being in stock in store or the main data base but when I called the main office they said they had 12 in the system so I bought 2 and had them in short order!

MMc

Charlie Reals
09-29-2010, 7:03 PM
I found a source and ordered three belts.These are coming out of Chicago, They are a gates belt and gates has very few of them in the US. The ones I ordered are Micro v 230J6. I am hoping I can nurse the one I have till then.

Stephen Massman
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I bought my extra belt from woodcraft. item #140349

Scott Hackler
09-30-2010, 11:03 AM
When I bought my 1624, (from WoodCraft) I ordered an extra belt at the same time and 1 1/2 years or so later... I still have the original belt on it. I wonder if you got a defective belt from the beginning. Mine shows no real signs of wear even to this day.

Fred Perreault
09-30-2010, 8:36 PM
I found belts for my Nova 16-24 by researching the net about 12-15 months ago. I found a Gates Micro-V, #230J, 4 groove. They make the same model (length) belt in a 5 groove, and a 6 groove. I bought 6 of the less expensive (about $6) 4 groove, and they have lasted much longer than the original belt from Nova. The 4 groove is plenty strong, easier to roll off and onto the pullies, and because it is slightly narrower, it doesn't chafe on the pulley sides and fray as much. I'll second the poor Nova support, but I have been very happy with the Nova, at $799 at WC 2 years ago. Hopefully, I'll be able to elevate my game to a point where I will covet a bigger, better lathe.

Charlie Reals
09-30-2010, 9:12 PM
Fred, thats good to know. I got the six groove for $11 which is 8 bucks off TT's price.
I'll end up with five, that should last a day or two.

Charlie Reals
10-01-2010, 2:43 PM
Tim has proven to me he is not the problem at TT. I recieved my belts from him today. There is a time warp between NZ and WV, WV to CA is working just fine and dandy.
Charlie