PDA

View Full Version : Belt / Disc Sander?

Jack Burgess
09-29-2010, 7:42 AM
Looking for belt/disc sander that is QUIET. Have Skill now and it sounds like a freight train. I do lot of sanding of small parts for toys etc. with door open and would like to be more considerate of neighbors and my ears.

Gene Howe
09-29-2010, 8:26 AM
I use a Rigid belt/spindle sander. It's quiet. Then I built a 12" disc sander with a 1 hp motor (one I had laying around) and a disk that fit the shaft and is held on with an allen screw. It's also quiet.

glenn bradley
09-29-2010, 8:40 AM
The screaming you are probably trying to get away from generally comes from the universal motor. Induction motors are quieter so this is one of those times that the (usually) larger units are quieter.

mark kosse
09-29-2010, 8:57 AM
Looking for belt/disc sander that is QUIET. Have Skill now and it sounds like a freight train. I do lot of sanding of small parts for toys etc. with door open and would like to be more considerate of neighbors and my ears.
Wow. What kind of noise does it make? I have an old Delta 12 disc sander you don't know is running when it's on. The Delta combo 6/12 belt/disc is louder for sure, but I wouldn't call it loud. Even my cheap craftsman 4/6 combo unit isn't loud.

Sounds like you use it a lot. I have an old toolcraft combo 6belt/9disc that has reasonable noise too. I paid 75.00 for it with a really cool GE motor on it. I'd look for a used American made 6" belt combe sander. I'll last and be quieter too.

Dave Gaul
09-29-2010, 10:05 AM
I have the skil 3x18"... it is quite loud! Has a very high pitched whine to it... but it gets the job done!

Kyle Iwamoto
09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Don't buy the Delta either.... That makes more noise than my Shopvac...:) Not quite freight train quality, but pretty loud. Not that I would know what a freight train sounds like...

Don't have any others so can't comment on others.

Gary Herrmann
09-29-2010, 5:07 PM
I found a used General 100-5 combo sander last year. Very quiet. You don't see many of them though. Try looking for all arn combos. I think the Powermatic was a model 30 or 31.

As others have said, you want something with an induction motor.

Dave Sweeney
09-29-2010, 5:33 PM
I don't find my Hitachi (http://www.hitachipowertools.com/store_item.php?iID=601&arrPath=1,12,59,p601,) belt/disc sander overly loud.

Jerry Thompson
09-29-2010, 5:53 PM
I have a 6X48" with a 12 in disk. I used for about two years and now it gather dust. It is quiet but I just have no need for it. I put it up for sale a couple of times with no bites.

Jim Shockey
09-29-2010, 7:18 PM
What kind and how much are you asking for it. Jim PS