PDA

View Full Version : Corel X5 - worth updating ?

Hannu Rinne
09-29-2010, 5:46 AM
As many of you have already used Corel X5 for some time now, I just want to ask your opinion to update from X3 to X5. Other words saying; will I get any benefit of it, if I update ( more simple to use, better/powerful tools, etc.. ) or is it just better to stay and work with X3 ? Also, what is your favorite tool to manipulate photos for engraving ? I'm using Corel Photopaint and Paint Shop Pro as those was quite simple to learn, but I'm concidering to purchase Adobe Photoshop CS5 which feels quite hard to study, but seems also to be really powerful...

- I just hope some simple programs for simple human and an automatic color sprayer to my laser :D -

Regards, Hannu

Mike Null
09-29-2010, 8:07 AM
I have recently installed X5 and am using it daily. For my work, routine industrial type engraving, previous editions have worked well and would continue to do so. There are some features in X5 which are nice to have but the most important reason for me was to be able to open more files.

I haven't had time to play with it yet but so far I am not disappointed. I use only PhotoPaint for photos but I do not engrave photos so that use is fairly limited.

Ruben Salcedo
09-29-2010, 9:11 AM
Hannu,
I think coming from X3 is definitely worth it, there is a lot of improvements and an introduction of some new features, it all will depend in what you do with Corel, maybe staying with X3 will be fine, but like Mike said, if you receive files from customers then it's definitely worth it just for the compatibility with newer versions of adobe products and X5 itself. Manipulating photos with PP or PSP will be fine, although Photoshop still is the best out there, yes is not easy to learn but not impossible either, I'm a previous PSP user my self back then when it was owned by it's original company, "Jasc", I start using Photoshop at version 4 along with PSP until I got familiar with PS and one day I decide to abandon PSP and haven't look back since, but then again I use PS for many different type of photo manipulations, like photo restoration, composition, engraving, etc. If you want/need to venture further than just photo engraving then yes go with PS, if you decide to go this route I'll recommend you lynda.com , is a subscription base buffet like learning place where you can learn PS from basic to advance at your own peace via videos for $25.00 a month, my mention of buffet is because besides PS there are hundreds of other software videos titles including Corel, and is all you can watch for the same price. Good luck in your decision.

Ruben

Lee DeRaud
09-29-2010, 9:59 AM
How about from X4? Worth it or wait? (Note that I already have Photozoom...)

Ruben Salcedo
09-29-2010, 10:19 AM
I can't comment in this one since I never used X4, I was an X3 user, but there is a way to find out if it's worth it or not for you before you make the investment, you can download the trial and after you install it there is an option where you can select and it will highlight anything that is new, you have 3 choices... since version 12, X3 and X4, to do this just go to Help>Highlight what's new>Since Version X4... in your case. I hope this helps a little.

Ruben

Steve Clarkson
09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
In addition to opening more files, my favorite thing about X5 is the B-Spline tool.....it really is awesome......so if you use the Bezier tool alot, then it's worth upgrading to X5 for the B-Spline alone.

For engravers, there was really no improvement in PhotoPaint.

Ruben Salcedo
09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
I agree with you in the new B-Spline tool, and about Photo Paint well yes there is almost no improvements except for one feature that I believe it's very helpful for people that convert images to grayscale, the new Grayscale feature let you adjust the grayscale value by colors (Darkening and Lighting) this feature to me is very powerful and useful, I have been using this feature in Photoshop since version CS3, in Corel X5 you can access it from the menu Image>Convert to Grayscale, Adjust>Grayscale and from the Ojects Docker at Lens Grayscale, I like to use the Lens Grayscale better than the others since with the Lens is a non destructive, meaning that you can always go back and re-edit your results, if for some reason you need to adjust it, with the other options you only have a one time shot, once you apply your grayscale conversion that's it you can no longer edit it.

Ruben

Dave Russell Smith
09-29-2010, 12:33 PM
If you already have X4 I would wait unless you have the need to burn some extra bucks

Hannu Rinne
09-29-2010, 4:53 PM
Thanks to you all for your advices !

Ruben, thank you for the tip's - I didn't remember the possibility to download the trial - might be just best way to test it side by side with X3 with some same work... and thanks for pointing me lynda ! ( something what I've been searching ). I will check the X5 and see also what Photopaint could offer before purchasing any expensive new program ( PS ) which I propably never learn to use ( I know myself - must to get without knowing what to do with it :D )

Best regards
Hannu

Ron Chapellaz
09-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Hannu;
For me the jump from ver. 12 to X5 was huge. The trace is so much better. The greyscale as Ruben mentioned is great. I watched a webinar which explained that the big difference in Corel Draw occured from 12 to X3. My recommendation is to download the trial version of X5, and see what it can do for your needs. I believe the trial was 30 days. After that you still have a fully functioning program but unable to save any of your work. I bought my copy direct from Corel which also came with a hard cover book. If you download the program you don't get that book. Let us know what you think after you've played around with it.

Hannu Rinne
09-30-2010, 5:06 AM
Thanks Ron,

I downloaded the trial and I'll let you know how it feels ! ( the tracing and greyscaling are almost the main things for me :) )

Regards
Hannu

Dan Ashlin
09-30-2010, 9:54 AM
If you like bezier tools, you should try Illustrator sometime, that and the vector capabilities are incredible. Its really really pricey though. I'm still using the version I got at a discount in college lol.

Joe De Medeiros
09-30-2010, 10:02 AM
For me the jump from X3 to X5 fixed a lot of bugs with imports I was having with X3.

Dave Fifield
12-13-2010, 6:07 PM
Yeah, the new features in X5 are cool, BUT, they completely broke how the mouse scroll wheel works for zooming.

In X4 (and previous versions), wherever you placed the mouse cursor, the program zoomed in/out from there, so, if you wanted to zoom in on a specific area/feature in your drawing, you naturally zoomed and adjusted the mouse position (in or out) as you operated the zoom wheel and you were able to zoom anywhere easily and quickly.

In X5 they broke this. They take the zoom point as the mouse cursor of the first time you click the zoom wheel (in or out), and then do not update it, ever. So you cannot zoom in or out to a specific point just by moving the mouse as you rotate the zoom wheel. You end up getting lost on your drawing rapidly, and have to go up to the tool bar to do a "Fit to page" in order to get back to normality. It's just BROKEN!!! I tried to tell Corel about this, but they have not listened, apparently.

Anyone else have a problem with this, or just me?

Dave F.

Mike Null
12-14-2010, 5:53 AM
Dave

Good to see you on the forum again.

My problem with X5 is the custom default settings. It doesn't seem to want to hold some of them, especially color palette. I'm setting RGB as my default but it keeps reverting to CMYK.

Joe De Medeiros
12-14-2010, 9:14 AM
I'm setting RGB as my default but it keeps reverting to CMYK.

I've been fighting this as well, my wife who is not tech savvy, forgets to check, and you end up with dithered white, it's a real pain.

Scott Challoner
12-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the new features in X5 are cool, BUT, they completely broke how the mouse scroll wheel works for zooming.

In X4 (and previous versions), wherever you placed the mouse cursor, the program zoomed in/out from there, so, if you wanted to zoom in on a specific area/feature in your drawing, you naturally zoomed and adjusted the mouse position (in or out) as you operated the zoom wheel and you were able to zoom anywhere easily and quickly.

In X5 they broke this. They take the zoom point as the mouse cursor of the first time you click the zoom wheel (in or out), and then do not update it, ever. So you cannot zoom in or out to a specific point just by moving the mouse as you rotate the zoom wheel. You end up getting lost on your drawing rapidly, and have to go up to the tool bar to do a "Fit to page" in order to get back to normality. It's just BROKEN!!! I tried to tell Corel about this, but they have not listened, apparently.

Dave F.

Dave

Go to Tools>Options>Toolbox>Zoom, Hand Tool and check the box that says center mouse when zooming with the mouse wheel.

See if that helps.

Ron Hartl
12-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I've been fighting this as well, my wife who is not tech savvy, forgets to check, and you end up with dithered white, it's a real pain.

I'm having the same problem,over and over.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-16-2010, 3:34 PM
For engravers, there was really no improvement in PhotoPaint.

Really? I would of throught that the changes to Convert to Grayscale would of been very good for engravers.

2 other things to consider...

- Object co-ordinates docker lets you to create objects at a specific size and position on the page.
- When exporting to PLT, users can now choose the uppper left as the origin instead of center of page and lower left

T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-16-2010, 3:41 PM
There is an option under the zoom tool to revert to the previous behaviour...

Tool>Options>Workspace>Toolbox> Zoom, hand tool....look for "[ ] Center mouse when zooming with the mouse wheel"
T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-16-2010, 3:42 PM
I'm having the same problem,over and over.

Go to Tools>Color Management>Default settings
Change the Primary Color Mode setting to RGB instead of CMYK

..this should get it sticking to RGB.

T.

Mike Null
12-16-2010, 6:16 PM
Tony

That seems to work for the color.

How about the outline tool. it doesn't seem to stay in place even though I made it a default.

Garrett Nors
12-16-2010, 7:23 PM

Dave F.

I was not a fan of the scrolling in X5 when we first got it, but now after I've gotten used to it I prefer it over the old way.

(Also, change doesn't equal broken :D)

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Tony
How about the outline tool. it doesn't seem to stay in place even though I made it a default.

Sorry, I missed it...what isn't sticking with the outlines?
T.

Mike Null
12-18-2010, 4:14 AM
Tony

I like it positioned on the top toolbar with the drop down menu for widths. It defaults to the left hand outline flyout which is an extra step or two.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
12-20-2010, 2:06 PM
Sorry, but I'm still fuzzy...can you give me the exact steps you're doing and I'll try to figure it out.
T.

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-21-2010, 5:53 AM
I went from X4 to X5. I dont feel it was worth the money. Also I have more crashes and found more bugs in X5.

Mike Christen
12-21-2010, 9:57 AM
One thing I don't like with x5 (not sure if it was same in x4 since i went from x3) is the font selection preview. X5 updates the font of actual text on the screen rather than preview in the font drop down pane. Depending on the text your previewing it could take a few seconds for the font to update, also half the time the drop down pane blocks the text unless its off to the side of the dropdown pane. That is mt fault that i forget to think of this and be sure of text location. crashing isn't as bad as it was in the beginning, maybe sp2 fixed some of it

Bob Davis
12-21-2010, 9:14 PM
Thanks for the "zoom" setting tip - that's better!
I've used 7 of the last 8 versions of Coreldraw. For actual functionality with a laser I don't think there have been many large improvements since version 9. There are a couple of cool toys, it's prettier and more integrated, but also a bit more "buggy". Trace is way better and Paint has been improved. Mind you, Paint really needed it.
Photoshop is a wonderful program but has a very steep learning curve and a lot of its capabilities are wasted in the laser engraving area. The people who designed it are very, very clever.

Dave Fifield
09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks Scott! That did the trick - the mouse scroll wheel zooming is now back to X4 action and I'm loving it again! I swear they added this little "fix" in the upadate - I looked high and low for it before and never found anything like this.....maybe they DID listen to my complaints after all?!

Cheers,
Dave Fifiled

Martin Boekers
09-09-2011, 1:31 PM
I recently jumped from 12 t0 X5 wish I had more time to explore it.

Justhe the virtual segment tool has saved me sooooo much time
(don't know if it was on previous versions or not)

Watch for sales Corel as always having some sale.

I finally upgraded when I got the email for the Limited Edition Package.
for about $250 I got the upgrade to X5 a Walcom Tablet and Painter 11.
I have wanted a tablet for quite a while and this package justified it!

I also got the Unleased X5 as it was highly discounted. Next week I dig into that
to see what I have been missing!