PDA

View Full Version : Idea

Keith Christopher
12-19-2004, 4:32 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if your fence mfg made one you could place at am angle for doing cove cuts ? All of us bolt down a long thick straight edge and have at it, but I'd love to remove my fence and put on my cove fence. This thought comes to me as I plan the next job for a client, built in bookcases, made from purpleheart and birdseye maple. the molding on the base will be cove, so I have alot to make. ahh well at least I kept my homebrew cove fence.

Jerry Crawford
12-19-2004, 8:18 PM
Keith, it reads as if you have a great idea for a product. Make it happen

Scott Parks
12-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Since we're on the subject.... What kind of blade cut is recommended for this procedure? My ATB blade leaves me with a lot of sanding to do. Is there a blade that will make a smooth cove? (I haven't tried the Forrest for coves yet)

Alan Turner
12-20-2004, 10:32 AM
The Lonnie Bird / CMT speciality blade/cutter is probably the best, but I do not have it. I think you will find that if you file a curve on a scraper, or have a good stiff goosenect scraper, that you sanding will be minimal. Just take you last cuts very very shallow. I use a Forrestt WWII blade, and don't sand; only scrape.
Alan

Dan Gill
12-20-2004, 12:20 PM
The biggest roadblock to this, as I see it, is liability. What happens when a customer pushes a piece of wood along the angled fence into a blade that is raised to full height? Looks like lawsuit city to me. Just my 2 cents.

Keith Christopher
12-20-2004, 3:35 PM
The biggest roadblock to this, as I see it, is liability. What happens when a customer pushes a piece of wood along the angled fence into a blade that is raised to full height? Looks like lawsuit city to me. Just my 2 cents.

while I can see this point, I think it's no more a liability then kickback if someone improperly uses their saw. Just a thought, but in this country you can sue someone based upon your own stupidity/carelessness. But I do agree to the point manufacturers are afraid to make something for fear of being sued.

Keith Christopher
12-20-2004, 3:40 PM
The Lonnie Bird / CMT speciality blade/cutter is probably the best, but I do not have it. I think you will find that if you file a curve on a scraper, or have a good stiff goosenect scraper, that you sanding will be minimal. Just take you last cuts very very shallow. I use a Forrestt WWII blade, and don't sand; only scrape.
Alan

hmm only seems to be part of a set. I wonder if they sell it seperately.

Keith

Chris Padilla
12-20-2004, 3:54 PM
http://www.lrhent.com/

Get the right cutters and this can be used to cut coves similar to the CMT one Alan refers to. No, I don't have one and I don't know anyone that does....