PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive

Dave Richards
04-07-2003, 9:58 AM
My father in law cut down a pretty good sized Russian Olive in his backyard last week. Actually the power company came and did it because the tree was interfering with the power lines. They didn't clean up the mess, though.

So, is the wood good for anything? I haven't seen it so I don't know what size the pieces are. Is it good for turning? Carving? Burning?

Jim Becker
04-07-2003, 10:39 AM
I copped some Russian Olive turning blanks from a friend of mine in the Denver area and found it turned nicely. Like many woods that have a lot of distance between the early- and late-wood, you can get an slightly uneven surface unless you have very sharp tools that reduce the amount of sanding you need to do.

I don't know that I'd go way out of my way to accumulate massive quantities of this species, but I would work with it again if I had the opportunity.

Kurt Krauter in Indy
04-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Dave:
I have turned some pens out of the russian olive burl blanks, and they are really cool. Beautiful brownish-beige coloring and interesting patterns.

I think some bowls , etc... would be great to try. I haven't seen or used any for flatwork, but it is a beautiful wood.

Kurt

Richard Allen
04-07-2003, 12:58 PM
Hi Dave

I have turned some native olive. What a wonderful wood to turn. As the shavings were cascading in ribbions around me the air was full of the fragrence of rip olives. The blank I turned wa mostly dry but it managed to move quite a bit over the next few months.

Thanks

Dave Richards
04-07-2003, 1:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I should try to find someone with a lathe and see if they want it. I'd like to try turning it but haven't got a lathe.

SWMBO would let me get one but I have to finish the sailboat first.:(

Jim Becker
04-07-2003, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by Dave Richards
SWMBO would let me get one but I have to finish the sailboat first.:(

Why bother finishing the sailboat? Once you have a lathe and discover "True Addiction", you won't have time for sailing, anyway. (Or you'll take a mini-lathe with you on the water...:D )