PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment center

Chad Easterling
09-28-2010, 8:18 PM
I posted a few pictures of this entertainment center while it was still unfinished back in February. Well, after being sick for a while and super busy with family, I finally got it finished. The finish and style matches the rest of the bedroom suite I built for our master bedroom.

Construction is 3/4 birch, poplar trim and 1/2 birch for the drawer "boxes". Tried a new sliding dove joint with the carcass... that was a pain in the butt!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
09-28-2010, 9:31 PM
Looks nice from what I can see (the pic is quite small). Do you have more pictures of the detail work (joinery, etc)?

How did you finish? Stain?

Great job.

Chad Easterling
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I don't have any more pictures... my camera is lousy and close-ups are never clear. I'll see what I can do, however.

The carcass (the 3/4" birch plywood making up the top and bottom along with the webbing between the drawers) was all assembled using sliding dovetail joinery. The top and bottom are wrapped in poplar. The rest of the assembly is standard nail/glue assembly. The drawers are basic rabbet joinery.

The finish is actually 2 coats of flat black spray paint (the cheapest stuff you can buy at Lowes), followed by a coat of spray acrylic. Then I distressed the finish using 220 grit sandpaper to make it appear it has some wear and tear. On the distressed areas, I use dark colored Old English furniture "touch up". Once that dried, I put two more coats of acrylic on, sanding between them.

This bedroom suit gets lots of wear and tear and this finish has held up very well.

Chad Easterling
09-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Here's a link to some pictures back when the entertainment center was in progress....

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1316350#post1316350

And some close-ups I just took...

Jeff Monson
09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Looks great Chad, nice design, project to be proud of for sure. I like the flat black spray paint to achieve the ebony look, thats a great tip.