PDA

View Full Version : mesquite vase, still learning

Robert McGowen
09-28-2010, 8:13 PM
I went with what Wally Dickerman said about the Rule of Thirds concerning the diameter of the base on this piece. This one is 6" high, 4" across at it's widest point, and the base is 1.33" across. It is about 1/4" thick all the way to the base.

Mesquite sanded to 6oo grit with Danish Oil. Buffing at a future date.

I stood it side by side with the vase I made last week, which I thought was a pretty good form, and every person has picked this shape over the one last week. Still learning....... :rolleyes:

Critiques and comments are welcome and thanks for looking!

charlie knighton
09-28-2010, 8:16 PM
very nice...

Tom Hamilton
09-28-2010, 8:23 PM
Robert, congrats on another pretty piece. Of course since it's Mesquite it could be a faucet handle and I'd think it was wonderful.

The experts will be along shortly but my take is the light sap wood distracts from the balance and flow of the form a tad. Pic number 2, no sapwood, is prettier than the other pics. While I'm in the C&C mode maybe the neck could be a little smidgen narrower/lighter. Seems more linebacker than ballerina in that area.

Of course my experience with hollow forms is zero. My new Jamison system is still in the box.

Best regards, Tom

Bill Bolen
09-28-2010, 8:29 PM
Well done Robert. Love the classic form.

David E Keller
09-28-2010, 8:57 PM
Nice looking form. I like the sapwood contrast as well. I agree with the suggestion to narrow the neck a bit, but that's just my taste. Great job!

Michael James
09-28-2010, 8:59 PM
Im with Tom on the "it's mesquite"...what else is there to say?

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2010, 9:58 PM
That is a really nice piece Robert. Gotta love mesquite.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Robert - nice work!

What I notice on this one is the placement of the shoulder. This one is at the 2/3 mark when compared with the other two recent mesquite vases you turned. I agree with the observation that the neck area could be a little smaller and I also notice that the foot on this one is slightly larger than the other two vases. That could just be camera angle or the curve of each vase. Do a side by side - if you can see what I am talking about, great. If not, no big deal.

Keep up the good work!

Alan Trout
09-29-2010, 12:07 AM
That is very much an improvment over your last one. The shape and the arc flow well. Foot might be a little smaller as well as the neck but the way it is now it really does not detract from the overall shape. Well Done!!!

Alan

Leo Van Der Loo
09-29-2010, 1:58 AM
I like this form very much as it is, the wood does help of course, well done ;-))

John Keeton
09-29-2010, 6:24 AM
Robert, I have never done a vase form, nor at this point, do they interest me much. That said, I do think this is a definite improvement over the other, and very well done.

I agree on the top/neck, but one has to be careful as there seems to be a correlation between the opening and the foot in terms of proportion. If you can reduce the neck, and perhaps the mass of the rim without changing too much the opening, I think that would help.

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 7:25 AM
That is a pretty piece of wood with a nice shape. I have tried a few vases. It has seemed that the 1/3 rule when applied to a vase is the largest size and a little smaller may look even better. Everytime I bring something in with a smaller foot I get the comment, "I wish you would make something with a bigger base, then I could use it.":)

Jeff Nicol
09-29-2010, 8:38 AM
Robert, I drive by and pottery shop on my way to my shed out in the country and they have many of this type of vase style sitting in the windows. They range from 4" tall to over 2' tall, some have the same neck style and some are very small and more rounded to the opening and flare of the top lip. This being said they all look good and some look amazing depending on color, compsition of any additional glazing for color sploches or how it fired in the kiln. No two are alike and each have an identity that makes them unique. This HF of yours shares what each of those ceramic pieces have, great color, grain and the sapwood contrast is appealing to the eye. It flows well as already stated, and could have a smaller neck or not as it is fine just like it is. To me it is more functional with a larger opening. Some of these with a tiny opening can have one or two twigs put in them opposed to a compleet bouquet of things.

You have done good and keep on pushing forward and things will show themselves to you as the wood is turned, changing directions in the middle of a project is perfectly leagal!

Have a great day,

Jeff

steven carter
09-29-2010, 9:21 AM
Robert,

I have never done one of these either, but to my eye the proportions are very pleasing. I like the sapwood contrast. This is a definite improvement to your earlier versions, and I would be proud to display this in my house.

Steve

Paul Douglass
09-29-2010, 9:32 AM
Will let me throw this one out there. I think that is a great looking vase. As to proportions I think it depends on the wood, there is strong wood and dainty wood and ah ....... never mind, I'd be so happy to come up with something as neat as this vase..

Roger Chandler
09-29-2010, 9:39 AM
I really like this one!