PDA

View Full Version : First Spalting attempt

Ken Hill
09-28-2010, 8:00 PM
About 5 months ago, I dropped a Maple that had been brutalized by a storm. It was just way to plain and i almost cut it up for firewood.

So I searched here and read up on how to get the spalting process going. I cut the pieces in sections around 4 to 6 ft long, put them on a few pallets and covered them with leaves, which is where they have been since.

I cut into some of the smaller stuff (10 inch diameter) and was pleasantly surprised. I had decent spalting and no rot. I had intended to cut a slab out and get a better picture but I snapped a belt on my bandsaw so that will have to wait. The last section is 15 inches or so around so im leaving it for another few months.

These are call blanks ready to go to drying. Thanks for all the help found in this section, helped alot!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC2184/1026476558_gzVrT-L.jpg

Donny Lawson
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Looks like your getting the hang of the spalting process. Just experiment with the waiting process. Some woods take a little longer than others. You can come up with some great lines if you catch it just right. I spalt alot of my own. Timing is everything...
Donny

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Glad to hear the spalting process is working for you! I always love the results I get with White Birch!

Looking forward to seeing the new spalted calls!

Ken Hill
09-28-2010, 10:44 PM
It's like everything else, fun to experiment and see what you get when it's done:D

I think I will leave the bigger section be for atleast 2 or 3 more months and see where she ends up.

larry shaughnessy
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Same rules apply for spalting birch ? Larry

Richard Madden
09-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Interesting. Just leaves? I have a couple of rough turned maple pieces on the bland side. Wonder if I could do the same?

Ken Hill
09-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Richard, the maple I have was void of anything except a white color LOL! A few pieces did not spalt heavily but the grain is very nice now and a rich color (sorry the pics do not show it)

I took a few pieces today and buried them in the woodchip pile just to see what happens. I will take a peek at it in 2 weeks.

I dont really need this much maple but i tend to use it with other woods for contrast

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/BEA9315/1010049885_WuE6i-L.jpg

And I think i am going to pull the trigger on a new Delta lathe so I can try my hands at a few bowls

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 8:23 AM
Richard, the maple I have was void of anything except a white color LOL! A few pieces did not spalt heavily but the grain is very nice now and a rich color (sorry the pics do not show it)

I took a few pieces today and buried them in the woodchip pile just to see what happens. I will take a peek at it in 2 weeks.

And I think i am going to pull the trigger on a new Delta lathe so I can try my hands at a few bowls

I took down a dead red maple in Maine this summer, cut it into blank lenths then left them buried in the shavings from the cutting. They are still in the woods. Will check them again in a couple of weeks but they may spend the winter there.

A few bowls? Yea, thats what I thought too!:);)

Ken Hill
09-29-2010, 8:26 AM
One question I do have....when cutting the log down to blanks sizes do you still seal the ends? I assume by having them in smaller pieces the process will be accelerated or no?

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 8:30 AM
If your are talking about cutting them into lengths to let spalt, you wouldn't want to seal the ends. I cut mine about 4 inches longer than the diameter to allow for some checking and spalting. They shouldn't check real badly, (hopefully) since they are in the shavings and in the shade/woods most of the time.

Ken Hill
09-29-2010, 8:32 AM
Gotcha. I did not seal what I have buried now so it's back to waiting...or maybe bury some more:D