PDA

View Full Version : Can I Engrave a Full Vodka Bottle

Tim Bateson
09-28-2010, 7:54 PM
I'm full of questions tonight...

I promised my wife I would engrave a bottle for a co-worker that is retiring. I didn't know it was Vodka.

I've done plenty of full wine bottles, but is it safe to engrave a full bottle of Vodka?

Gary Hair
09-28-2010, 8:05 PM
You better drink the bottle first, then engrave it, no use taking chances... :rolleyes:

Actually, you can laser, sandblast, whatever, any filled bottle you like. There isn't enough heat from the laser to have any affect on the contents. The only warnings I have ever heard are for champagne bottles, but I don't think they would be a problem either, they are certainly designed to withstand much more pressure than they contain.

Gary

Carrol Fleming
09-29-2010, 5:07 AM
I have done quite a few of those mini sparkling wine bottles as samples with no problems at all - even went over the engraving a few times with one. I would not worry about doing a large one if the order came in.

Carrol

Hannu Rinne
09-29-2010, 6:01 AM
Hi Tim,

A few days ago I engraved three full 1 litre V-bottle without having any problems. My only problem ( when engraving fulls ) is the color filling with some suitable paint. I have a paint for glass which must to be dryed in the oven with 140 Celsius temperature but I haven't find so far any durable paint to use on "cold" glass ( every paint I've tested seems to hatch out easily from the glass... - still looking for some solution ). Somehow I feel that it ain't very wise to put a full bottle in the oven with 140C... :)

Regards, Hannu

Martin Boekers
09-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Absolute(ly) NOT!

I better stop by and help remove the danger from this situation.:D

Marty

Andrea Weissenseel
09-30-2010, 3:22 AM
That shouldn't be a problem, Tim

@Hannu, did you try to use Thermark/Cermark for glass ? Or maybe you change your product to glogg :D

Andrea

Hannu Rinne
09-30-2010, 4:56 AM
Thanks Andrea,

Thermark/Cermark - once again, it never came to my mind to use those on glass - ( I have to purchase some suitable colors )

Glogg...hmm...traditional Finlandia-V could be much cultivated if lasered and baked into Finlandia-glogg :D

Best regards
Hannu

Tim Bateson
09-30-2010, 6:11 AM
Project completed, thanks. I'm going to have to consider Thermark/Cermark for glass.

No pic of the project. As soon as I was done, my wife had it in a basket and shrink wrapped.

Bjorn storoien
10-03-2010, 6:45 AM
colour filling bottles

I have experimented with wax "guilders paste " and it works fine for bottles

when its dry its alot more durable than you would think , alcohole spills does not ruin the colour fill

Bjorn

Hannu Rinne
10-03-2010, 4:55 PM
Hi Bjorn,

What is the brand of the wax you're using ?

Regards, Hannu

Bjorn storoien
10-04-2010, 9:13 AM
I have used LIBERON " KULTAPRONSSITAHNA"

sold in most interior / paint stores here

Distributor in finland OY PARALETT

i have also tested it on dark polished tiles works fine for indoor use

Bjorn

Hannu Rinne
10-04-2010, 3:34 PM
Takk Bjorn !

For very precise description :) Liberon is well known also here - I'll purchase and try it. Here is a tip for you; If you know a finnish company called "Tikkurila" ( in Norway; tikkurila dot no ), ask from them a paint called; "Decorative Paint Tikkurila Miranol" - there is gold, silver and copper available. In the package it says the paint is for indoor use, but I just heard today that most of the memorial plaque makers use this paint on granite, etc... ( mostly for outdoor use ) and it should be durable also in glass - haven't tested yet but I will -

Regards, Hannu

Steve Burk
10-14-2010, 3:39 PM
Recently did a rum bottle for a friend's 50th, just removed the lables and made sure it was clean. This was Pritchard's Rum so the facing was pretty flat. Did 2 passes with 100s/20p on a 30watt and then just used some basic white enamel paint and wiped over the engraving and then wiped off the excess. I thought it came out pretty good. For Vodka, I would guess any darker color paint would show well.

Hannu Rinne
10-15-2010, 5:00 AM
Steve,

Nice design and nice contrast ! I'm not familiar with a rum, so it might be worth to test it and (for the safety reasons) make the bottle empty before engraving - interesting to see the results next day :D

Regards, Hannu

Mike Christen
10-15-2010, 9:53 AM
Hi Steve

That really came out good nice job! Did you engrave the back also? Looks like some pretty small text, if so how did that turn out?

greg lindsey
10-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Couple of years back I did 400 bottles of wine for a winery that was doing a show, FYI, no two bottles are made the same, The labels aren't put in the same location everytime, what a pain in the rear to have to line up each and every bottle to make sure they engraved in the correct location.

Robert Walters
10-15-2010, 1:17 PM
Couple of years back I did 400 bottles of wine for a winery that was doing a show, FYI, no two bottles are made the same, The labels aren't put in the same location everytime, what a pain in the rear to have to line up each and every bottle to make sure they engraved in the correct location.

That's strange. Most bottling lines have the labels applied at the exact same height. Maybe someone manually applied the labels.

Steve Burk
10-20-2010, 11:53 AM
The font on the back was pretty small, it was readable but not as crisp as I would have liked, next time, fewer words, larger font. It is a font called Pieces of Eight and it is not a crisp font to begin with anyway. Picture is not good either

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=164927&stc=1&d=1287590339

Don Gares
11-11-2010, 1:17 PM

Just curious, how did you hold the bottles in the rotary attachment? It does not appear that it would work well with the rotary attachment on my Pinnacle M series. I am just not sure that the small (open) end of the bottle would stay centered in the powered end of the attachment. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Don

Tim Bateson
11-11-2010, 4:24 PM
I'm not sure what your rotary looks like, but on my Epilog, I engrave bottles upside down, with the opening pointed to the right.

Dallas Traina
11-12-2010, 5:19 PM
Steve,
Love the rum bottle, nice work.