PDA

View Full Version : Now what do I do? Help...

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 7:13 PM
Many of you probably saw this coming a mile away. Some even warned me. But I hoped for the best and guess what? You were right...

My day hasn't been a great one. Started out with nightmares last night, then just a bunch of things, one after another, that just didn't go my way. Well, I have to say that I was pretty proud of the stack of blanks that I got up on the wall. But even that turned out to be a downer. Leo just had to point out that the placement (high on the wall) probably wasn't the best and that sealing the blanks with paint wasn't the best idea either. Both, I suspected, but "went with" anyway. Leo's suspicions got me thinking he's (and the little voices in my head) right. So, I better get to turning those pups! Hey, if I do one or two roughed out a day, I'll whittle away at that pile for sure! Right? :o

Well, here's where some of you may know where this is going. I pulled down a cherry natural edge blank. My first thought was, okay lets just get her round...nice and easy. (Who's cringing yet?) I turned on the lathe (remember, it is a 1947 12" Delta) and quickly turned it off to see how bad the wobble was. Well, it is pretty bad. I don't think there is any way that I'll be able to turn a piece like this.

And this is only a 10" blank! I've got 11's and 11 3/4's... I have it on the slowest speed and the lathe is bolted down. I have the blank centered pretty darn well. But the natural top is quite a bit uneven. I know that is where the unbalance/wobble is coming from.

Because of the blank, I used a 6" faceplate. If I move the faceplate towards the side of the blank that is thicker, could that get rid of the wobble? Or is it such a shot in the dark to find that sweet spot that my lathe ultimately can't handle this piece and others like it?

I need some good news...

Thomas Bennett
09-28-2010, 7:30 PM
Mike, Do you have your tailstock engaged to the peice? Sometimes on a natural edge you can carve out some of the bark in the middle and get a better grip with a live center, then turn the outside round. You should be able to turn everyone of those blanks. As for the paint, maybe not the best choice but I don't think you will hurt the blanks. I used paint for years before I knew any better.
What is you roughing tool?

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 7:46 PM
Thanks, Thomas, I needed a little positivity... To add insult to injury, I went up to the bedroom to fold some laundry. Hey, what could go wrong with this, right? My boxer, laying on the bed looks at me, while laying down, gives what looks like is going to be a big yawn, and SPEEEEEW! Threw up all her dinner on the bed. Oops, thought it was all of it. Nope, there's more in another pile on the bed, and another. Then to the front door for some more. Then another little saliva pile on another rug. Ugh...

Anyway, to answer some of your questions, yes the tailsock was engaged. The blank is causing enough wobble that it is morphing the lathe. I mean, the feet aren't moving, the headstock and bed certainly are. As for the paint. I know they won't hurt the blanks, but they probably aren't sealing them very well either. So, I had it in my thick skull that maybe I could have a little fun and get some practice by mounting them, getting them round and sealing them properly. As for my gouge, right now I have a 1/2" Benjamin's Best from PSI that I tore the handle off this weekend and made a 16" one over at Tony's. I just ordered a 5/8" bowl gouge from Doug Thompson today. Should have it soon.

Robert McGowen
09-28-2010, 7:58 PM
Okay, I will tell a secret that might get me kicked out of the turner's forum, but anything to help a guy having this bad a day.

One of the things that I have to make turning a ton easier is a hand held power planer. They are less than a $100 or about the same as a good turning tool. I purchased one with the idea of using it during a flat work period in my life that I was able to overcome. :D

I have been using it a lot since I have been turning so much mesquite lately. Mount your blank. Put your tool rest near the blank and spin the blank by hand. Move the tool rest until some part of the blank hits it. Give that part a couple of swipes with the planer. If you are turning end grain it is easiest, but it works just fine with a bowl orientation also. Keep moving your tool rest in and planing off the part that hits it. It will only take a few minutes and the blank will be nearly round and for sure balanced on the lathe. Turn the lathe on and go to town with it......... :cool:

Please do not report me to the turning purists......... ;)

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 8:05 PM
Robert, I already have one of those! So, no more money out of pocket. Unfortunately, the blank is about as round as it can get. I cut it out on a circle cutting jig (home made) and it is quite round. The challenge (or the reason that it wobbles) is that the natural edge side is cattywompus. Maybe your method will help take some off the heavy side and ultimately ballance it out.

And no I won't report you. ;)

Kyle Iwamoto
09-28-2010, 8:06 PM
I learned this way. Can't remember which DVD, probably Lyle Jamison. Start between centers. Lightly engage your blank, so it can spin freely on just the points of the centers. Try to balance it best you can. Move the blank around by loosening and tightening the tailstock. When the blank is fairly balanced, tighten down on the TS. Drive the drive spur in with a mallet. (take it and the spur off the lathe) I do this on my Jet mini, 500 RPM low speed and my Shopsmith, 750 slow speed. The SS is "fun" spinning anything bigger than a well balanced 8" blank. You can rough out the blank, so it stops shaking you around, then flatten out the blank for the faceplate. Give it a try. One the blank is initially balanced, you can re-mount it between centers to orient the grain etc if you like. Move it 1/4", should not vibrate too badly, then true it up, repeat.

Gary Conklin
09-28-2010, 8:15 PM
Mike aren't Boxers great! Just think about the smiles and kidney beaning when you get home!!!

Now onto your challenges with the blanks. First suggestion grab some paper bags or newspaper and wrap them suckers up between that and the paint you should buy some time.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2010, 9:02 PM
Many of you probably saw this coming a mile away. Some even warned me. But I hoped for the best and guess what? You were right.../snip//snip/

And this is only a 10" blank! I've got 11's and 11 3/4's... I have it on the slowest speed and the lathe is bolted down. I have the blank centered pretty darn well. But the natural top is quite a bit uneven. I know that is where the unbalance/wobble is coming from.

Because of the blank, I used a 6" faceplate. If I move the faceplate towards the side of the blank that is thicker, could that get rid of the wobble? Or is it such a shot in the dark to find that sweet spot that my lathe ultimately can't handle this piece and others like it?

I need some good news...

I would measure and find the center on both sides of the blank as good as I can, then get a forstner or other drillbit that can drill a hole through the bark, and then get the spurdrive in that side and the live center on the flat side.
Now you can still adjust the blank a little so the high sides on the barkside are even, (you could use your toolrest to measure the highsides going by when turning by hand the lathe around).
Done that you can turn the outside shape/form, and make the bottom so you can hold it when you turn it over to hollow the inside out.

Mike Cruz
09-28-2010, 9:37 PM
Thank you Leo, Gary and Kyle. All great ideas and I will make another effort tomorrow or the next day. I'm doing a little better now. Partly because of all of your support, and partly because of the peach daiquiri...;):D

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 9:51 PM
I go along with Kyle's suggestion of placing the blank loosely between centers and finding which end is heavy. Then you could use your small planer and shape it until it removes much of the wobble.

Peach? Woodturners actually drink something with Peach?

Tom Sherman
09-28-2010, 10:20 PM
I go along with Kyle's suggestion of placing the blank loosely between centers and finding which end is heavy. Then you could use your small planer and shape it until it removes much of the wobble.

Peach? Woodturners actually drink something with Peach?
Steve you haven't lived until you've had a Fuzzy Navel.

Frank Van Atta
09-29-2010, 1:31 AM
. . . I do this on my Jet mini, 500 RPM low speed and my Shopsmith, 750 slow speed. The SS is "fun" spinning anything bigger than a well balanced 8" blank. . .

Sounds like you need a speed reducer for your ShopSmith; brings the low speed down to just over 100 rpm (7 to 1 reduction) and makes turning large natural shaped pieces a lot easier. Best investment I ever made.

Thom Sturgill
09-29-2010, 7:21 AM
Some good advice here. I start loosely between centers myself. Glad to hear that the drink signalled the end of turning - the two do not mix well.

Gary Herrmann
09-29-2010, 7:49 AM
Having just stepped in not one but two puddles of ick one of the animals made, I can relate.

You've gotten good advise on the blanks.

The Anchorseal company in NJ(?) used to ship you a quart free with the purchase of another if you asked them. Don't know if they still do that.

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 7:53 AM
I have a 12" Delta and would start between centers as well. I would spin it by hand while it was between centers to try and better balance it. Once some of the excess is removed, you can still reorient the blank if it is not quite to your liking. I would also occasionally have to go back and remove more with a chainsaw once I knew the parts I didn't want from each blank.

If that lower shelf that you have your motor is mounted on is not filled with stuff, load it up with some weight as well. You may be able to even attach the feet to your wood floor. The lack of mass was one of the reasons I started looking bigger. You will be able to do it, just not as fast as you might like.

You might try stashing the blanks in a rubbermaid trash can with the lid on. It would help preserve the moisture and keep them corralled and not spread out all over the floor like mine. I don't think you would have a problem with mold or spalting for awhile. Good Luck!

Tony De Masi
09-29-2010, 8:08 AM
You've gotten some great advice here Mike. So take heed and proceed slowly. Don't be in a rush:D Learning properly can take some time so be patient.

As for all those blanks you have I would not keep them where they are located. Go get you some real sealer and locate them somewhere else. Baxters idea is quite a good one IMO.

Mike Cruz
09-29-2010, 8:29 AM
Tony and Baxter, I'm on it. I think I have extra bins. I'll try to get them in today.

Baxter, yes, the lower shelf is empty. I didn't plan for it to be. I was hoping to have a cabinet of sorts in it before I started turning, but am afraid if I wait for that to be made...well,.... Oh, and the legs are bolted to the floor.

And, yes, Tony told me about the between centers thing... Sometimes, I just have to find out "why". Now, I kinda get it that faceplates are for even/balanced blanks. They aren't for chainsawed up/natural edge blanks...at least not for my lathe. Between the centers it is. And cutting off stock with a chainsaw or electric hand planer (while NOT spinning :eek:), too. Leo's suggestion of using a forstner bit to get a good grab will be used.

Yes, Steve, peach. Guess what happens to just about any fruit around here that gets ripe too fast for us to eat it all...yup, drinks! And my wife love's 'em (small glass...and only 1). Oh, and Steve, I even eat something with peach, too. Costco has the BEST EVER salsa...it is Mango Salsa w/Peach. Best ever...