PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Bowl

Bill Bulloch
09-28-2010, 5:41 PM
In an earlier thread I ask advise about putting Poly over BLO. This is the bowl I was talking about. It turned out very well, thanks to the advise you guys give me.

Small and simple Black Walnut, 8 inch deiameter 2 1/4 inches high.

Roger Chandler
09-28-2010, 5:44 PM
Real nice Bill. I like the finish. I turned a walnut today, but I did not have any BLO, so I just used the wipe-on poly. I hope when mine is buffed that it turns out as nice as yours.

What is it, 4 more weeks till the Grizz comes in? I think you will like it a lot!

Bill Bulloch
09-28-2010, 5:55 PM
Real nice Bill. I like the finish. I turned a walnut today, but I did not have any BLO, so I just used the wipe-on poly. I hope when mine is buffed that it turns out as nice as yours.

What is it, 4 more weeks till the Grizz comes in? I think you will like it a lot!

Yea, about four weeks now. When that booger gets here I am going to put Half a Walnut Tree on it and and see where it takes me.

Roger Chandler
09-28-2010, 7:12 PM
Yea, about four weeks now. When that booger gets here I am going to put Half a Walnut Tree on it and and see where it takes me.

Bill,

Don't let all them horses out of the barn all at one time :eek: You might want to sneak up on it before you put half a tree on it! :eek:

If you put something heavy and out of balance on it, I would definitely recommend that you put a shelf underneath to stiffen the unit from end to end and to add ballast. Some sand bags, or a lot of wood turning blanks will add some weight.

By the way, you need to make sure to get the bed level from end to end and from front to back. The bed ways are long on the Grizzly G0698 [47"] and if the bed is not level, it could torque the ways just enough to make the centers not line up perfectly.

My centers are dead on, so it is a matter of getting the bed level both ways. Also, mine had a little paint chip on the bottom of the tail stock which made my tail stock center about 1/64 high when I got it, and a couple of strokes with a flat file took care of it, and my centers are dead on perfect.

John Keeton
09-28-2010, 7:39 PM
Bill, I would say you did well on that one - very nice and good color.

You, Roger and some of the others are going to have to start a Griz Club - kind of like Delta Force!!:D;)

LONG LIVE DELTA FORCE!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141251&d=1265645584

Karl Card
09-28-2010, 8:08 PM
I think after the first of the year I am going to trade either my jet or rikon off for a varible speed lathe. I just hate changing belts. Not really that hard but just takes away from the glamour of the party at hand.

David Campbell
09-28-2010, 8:26 PM
In an earlier thread I ask advise about putting Poly over BLO. This is the bowl I was talking about. It turned out very well, thanks to the advise you guys give me.

Small and simple Black Walnut, 8 inch deiameter 2 1/4 inches high.

Okay, I give up, what is BLO?

Bill Bolen
09-28-2010, 8:34 PM
Boiled Lindseed Oil

Roger Chandler
09-28-2010, 9:02 PM
Bill, I would say you did well on that one - very nice and good color.

You, Roger and some of the others are going to have to start a Griz Club - kind of like Delta Force!!:D;)

LONG LIVE DELTA FORCE!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141251&d=1265645584

JK, sounds like a great idea..............Maybe the Bear Brigade??? Grizzly Garrison,??? :eek::D:D:D

Bill Bulloch
09-28-2010, 9:08 PM
Boiled Lindseed Oil

William, My son owns a mountain top in Eureka Spring, Ark; is that near Eureka, Mo?

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2010, 9:57 PM
Bill that is a real beauty. I really like that finish.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 9:57 PM
Very nice bowl Bill! I think your finish combo worked great!