PDA

View Full Version : Square Bowl - First Attempt

Rob Cunningham
09-28-2010, 1:00 PM
This is my first try at a square bowl. It's made from 8/4 cherry, 5 1/2" square 1 3/4" high. I sanded to 400 grit and finished with AO. There's a few tool marks around the legs, but it was getting too thin to try and sand them out.
Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

David E Keller
09-28-2010, 1:10 PM
The finish looks great, Rob. The only thing I would consider changing would be to carry the hollowing on the underside up a bit further so that the curve continues uninterrupted. It looks great!

John Keeton
09-28-2010, 1:32 PM
Rob, you sure achieved a nice finish!! Nice work on the bowl, and while I have not attempted this style, I do agree with David on the continuation of the turning of the underside.

bob svoboda
09-28-2010, 1:55 PM
I think it's great. Nice job.

Bill Bulloch
09-28-2010, 2:05 PM
Nice job. I never have been able to get my wings (feet) to come out uniformly, (two are always narrower than the other two).

Thom Sturgill
09-28-2010, 2:18 PM
The comments about the underside are spot on. It looks like you left the bottom flat near the edges instead of continuing the cutting until you had a smooth curve. You can hide a little bit of that by sanding the sides to undercut them, but not that much.

Karl Card
09-28-2010, 2:27 PM
Very impressed with the finish. I have 4 cocobolo squares that I am going to try to make them into a square bowl.

Mark Hubl
09-28-2010, 3:14 PM
Rob, Good first attempt at Square.

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2010, 4:10 PM
Rob - congrats on your first! Wasn't as hard as you thought - was it?

Great finish!

Larry Marley
09-28-2010, 4:20 PM
Nice,
I agree with David Keller on the under side valley between the bowl and legs. It would be nice to achieve a consistent edge thickness.
The finish looks great.
There is definitely a pucker factor turning these.
Thanks for sharing!

Dustin Cranford
09-28-2010, 5:20 PM
That is great. I am still debating a lathe and what kind. I don't have 220 so it'll have to be 110, but do what I want it to.

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Great bowl. Finish looks really good.

Jon Lanier
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
For a first attempt I think you did GREAT! yea... you could've went further. But man those things are scary! I've tried two... blew them up and I've not tried another.

Bob Wolfe
09-29-2010, 1:16 AM
First attempt at a suare bowl huh...really your first. You must mean the first one that turned out so nice but you destroyed a dozen or so trying to figure them out. I can buy that. Am I in the ballpark here? Nope I'm just not buying it, no way.

Very nice first attempt (or how many ever it really is) :D

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Baxter Smith
09-29-2010, 8:00 AM
Nice square bowl Rob. I have never tried one. Have plenty of wood for it too! Stuff that I had saved for all the flat work projects I was going to build over the past year and next thirty! I'm just a year behind.:)

Rob Cunningham
09-29-2010, 1:06 PM
Thanks for all the comments.
It really is my first attempt at a square bowl. Those wings spinning around do up the pucker factor a few notches. :eek: I see what you guys mean about taking the underside curve further, I'll keep that in mind next time around.

Cathy Schaewe
09-29-2010, 7:58 PM
I think you did a great job, and the finish is beautiful (and I'm a sucker for cherry). I've tried one, got frustrated, and turned it into a bowl. Which then promptly exploded.:o You done good!:D