PDA

View Full Version : Temp Spray Booth/Explosion Proof Fan?

Jim Eller
09-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I am considering making a fold-down spray booth.

The designs I see use a simple box fan(which I like the idea) but they all say for water base products only because of the fan.

So if one wants to spray other finishes, such as lacquer, poly and the like, where do you get an explosion proof fan at a reasonable price or what are the other alternatives?

Thanks,
Jim

Chad Easterling
09-28-2010, 1:43 PM
I have seen designs where the fan is attached so it pulls fresh air from the outside and pushes it through a tube opened to the inside of the booth. This results in pulling air out of the booth, but not exposing the fan to the fumes. Not sure if you have ever seen it before, but the same type of effect happens when someone cracks a car window slightly and smokes... the air is pulled form the car along with the smoke.

Jim Eller
09-30-2010, 7:12 PM
Explosion proof fans??

Jack Clark
09-30-2010, 8:16 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Eller;1523621]where do you get an explosion proof fan at a reasonable price or what are the other alternatives?/QUOTE]

Depends on your definition of "reasonable price." This is the cheapest one I've ever found on the internet (Thanks to Jeff Jewitt).

http://www.sprayshield.com/cgi-bin/hazel-cgi/hazel.cgi?action=serve&item=fan.html

Otherwise you may be stuck with Craig's List or fleaBay.

:rolleyes:

Jim Eller
10-01-2010, 7:53 AM
Thanks Jack(and Jeff).

Did you purchase one?

Jack Clark
10-01-2010, 9:32 AM
Did you purchase one?

No. I just use a cheap box fan with a couple of fiberglass a/c filters taped to it. I only spray waterbased materials and a little shellac. There's plently of ventilation in my garage, so I'm not too concerned with the shellac fumes igniting.

Jack Clark
10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
And, I always use a respirator!

Bernie Kopfer
10-02-2010, 9:55 AM
I just read in the last couple of weeks, in which mag I do not remember, one of the "finishing experts" saying that an explosion proof fan is not necessary for spray painting. He even did an expeiriment of spraying a flammable solvent directly into the fan and no ignition. Concentation is not high enough. I just use a cheap fan and cheap filter and for the heck of it when finished painting yesterday I sprayed paint thinner into fan cleaning the gun. I'm alive and well. :rolleyes:

ray hampton
10-02-2010, 1:52 PM
I do not think that fan motors make sparks when they
start-up or when they are running at full-speed BUT THE
SWITCH will spark when you turn the fan ON--- DO your
fan use a brush-equipped motor ?

Bernie Kopfer
10-03-2010, 12:35 AM
The typical motor in a cheap box fan is not going to use brushes.
Remember that articles and advise from those who are in the know, will always err on the side of caution. I wish I could remeber where I read about the safety of regular box fans. I was surprised by the candid comments of the author. But if you have the money and need to feel super secure, by all means by an explosion proof fan.

Steve Jenkins
10-03-2010, 2:41 PM
generally speaking an explosion proof fan has aluminum blades ( nonsparking) and the motor is ouside the airstream with a belt to drive the fan. I use a 4' diameter exhaust fan I bought at home depot. When it was running I sprayed pure lacquer thinnner directly into the motor and did not have any fire. Of course I can't and won't suggest that it is ok to use this type of fan.
Steve

ray hampton
10-03-2010, 3:43 PM
Just one more thought,are explosion -proof motors ground
to control the build-up of static-electric , keep your humidity
high enough to control the static electric and one last tidbit
do not wear wool clothes when spray painting